Recommendations for a Video Light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old November 27th, 2016, 12:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recommendations for a Video Light

I'm considering the purchase of a video light for my FS5.

Has anyone had experience with Sony's HVL-LBPC unit?

Any other better units out there?
John Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 02:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Recommendations for a Video Light

Personally I'm not a big fan of single source on camera lights unless you have absolutely no choice, ie ENG. Due to the inverse square law and being on the same axis as the lens, the results mostly look flat and unevenly exposed.

What do you want to use it for?
Old November 27th, 2016, 06:20 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree with what Nigel said. On-camera light is good when other options are unavailable. But I find them a necessary evil at times. If you're committed to on-camera, you have the options of larger/softer sources (more flattering, but short throw and lots of spill), or something more focused (harsher, but easier to control).
The Sony you mentioned is a bit of a compromise that can throw a bit further than a typical LED thanks to a drop in focusing lens. Cheaper but similar design is the Comer 1800.
The larger panels seem to pop up weekly. Check for high CRI values (90+), full dimmability, and color mixing options. Edge-mount LED's will give you a softer light a the expense of some brightness...but they are also easier on the eyes than the multi-lensed LEDs.
Different horses for different courses, as they say. Figure out when you'll use it most and it will help guide your decision.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 06:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Try LumeCubes. $80 each.

lumecube.com

I use them with my iPad Mini 3 video rig.
They put out up to 1500 Lumens, but they will get hot if you leave them at that level for more than about five minutes.
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2016, 08:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Also think about getting a robust Noga arm, and get the video light out and away from the camera a bit. Helps reduce the "deer in the headlights" news look.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2016, 09:55 AM   #6
Major Player

Having seen the Lume Cube, I couldn't recommend it for professional video. Color temp is too cool, focus is too narrow, it heats up way too much after a few minutes of continuous use, and you can't replace the battery in the field. Stick with something that has easily swapped batteries, bi-color (for versatility) and a softer beam. Anyone looking into a Lume Cube will be squinting from the harsh point-source light.
Old December 9th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #7
Major Player

Buy a cheap Neewer 216. If you don't like it, at least you didn't pay much for it.

I have 3 of them. Sometimes I use one camera and other times I put them on stands for a quick 3 point light set up.
Old December 9th, 2016, 04:46 PM   #8
Major Player

This LED light shootout video might help with your decision. 7 Great Video LED Lights Under $50 - DSLR Video Shooter
Old December 9th, 2016, 06:48 PM   #9
Trustee

Back in post #3 Oren mentioned the Comer 1800. The Comer, as I understand it, is a knockoff of the Sony light. I’ve had mine for a couple years now and it has been very useful, both as a video light and for a number of other uses, such varying uses as searching for stuff in the garage to an emergency light when the power went off during a wind storm. The model I got was the Comer CM-LBPS1800b Video Light,

I’m also in the “don’t like video light on cam” camp but I have used it that way a lot when there weren’t people in the shoot and a few times when there were. Used it often on stands, too, much easier and faster than dealing with wired panels.

Because it can be bright it can be used as a bounce light. The light has a nice color and is adjustable. Speaking of adjusting, I always turn the power to low when turning it on. Well made and no issues. Nice padded case. Got it through L.A. Color Pros | Professional Photo/Video Gear Shop

By the way, Paul Anderegg had a post a while back about this an another light he likes. Might want to search and see what he had to say.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #10
Major Player

Like mentioned above, the on-camera light while not preferred is sometimes the only option you have.
That being said I have used several on-camera lights through the years.
I started with Comers because they looked like a robust, good light.
However I own 3 of them and NONE of them match the other. I tried swapping out the filters but the LEDs just do not match.

So now I use the cheap plastic $30 Neewer lights I bought off Amazon. They are cheap, light, work for hours and hours on a small NP-F Sony battery and they MATCH.
I have 4 of the NEEWER lights and all four cost much less than just one Comer.

I also have a Torch LED and two different brands of bi-color adjustable LED lights (VidPro and Genaray)but I haven't use them for events. I use them as hair lights on a stand.
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 12:32 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I've found the Rotolight Neo is very good.
Good skin tones for a camera light, bi-colour and dimmable.
Power either by battery or d-tap.
Kevin Langdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 09:32 AM   #12
Major Player

You may find this video useful if you want to go the budget route:

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5