DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   Sony FS5 in a Multicam Studio Set up, options for controlling the cameras remotely (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/533209-sony-fs5-multicam-studio-set-up-options-controlling-cameras-remotely.html)

Matt Thomas December 8th, 2016 05:33 AM

Sony FS5 in a Multicam Studio Set up, options for controlling the cameras remotely

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to improve the cameras in the studio setup I have where I work, and I like the image quality from Sony FS5/FS7s but I'm trying to figure if it's at all possible to control these (the zoom, focus, iris, iso etc) from the studio desk. We currently have Blackmagic ATEM software set up and also a Panasonic AW-RP50 control panel (AW-RP50 | Professional Camera Solutions) but I was wondering would any of these work the Sony FS5 or is there a product similar to these that can do it?

Thanks,
Matt

Nigel Davey December 9th, 2016 05:13 AM

Re: Sony FS5 in a Multicam Studio Set up, options for controlling the cameras remotel

As far as I'm aware the Content Browser Mobile app is the only thing that gives you partial remote control of an FS5, but it's a bit restrictive with less features compared to FS7.

Oren Arieli December 9th, 2016 11:47 AM

Re: Sony FS5 in a Multicam Studio Set up, options for controlling the cameras remotel

I'm not sure of the cable length restrictions, but you can relocate the FS5 grip using a LANC 2.5mm extension cable. I've moved mine to the tripod pan handle for long-format productions. You will have access to every feature currently offered within the grip handle. Otherwise, you're looking at aftermarket zoom accessory solutions, which wouldn't have access to the same menu functions.

John Mitchell December 13th, 2016 06:55 AM

You'd be better off with the BM micro studio cams. They are completely controllable from the ATEM desk via a single cable that carries SDI as well. Easier to focus with the smaller sensor as well. BMD is rumoured to be bringing out a remote pan tilt head for them as well. An FS5/7 is overkill for a controlled lighting scenario like a studio plus Sony never built them from for that purpose - Sony does still make cameras with studio sleds I think.

Matt Thomas December 15th, 2016 01:25 PM

Thanks everyone.

I did look into the Blackmagic Studio Cameras but with the example videos online, I didn't feel the quality looked much better then the current cameras we have in there.

I guess it may be a good idea to rent one of each and see which I like the look of the most, and judge what is the most practical.

Mark Watson December 15th, 2016 04:13 PM

Hey Matt,

A bit pricey, but here's a soon to be released remote that can control 3 cameras.
Says it will work with FS7, and other select Sony cameras. So it might work with FS5.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ontroller.html

Update: according to the Sony UK site, the RM-30BP is compatible with the FS5. Might even be available in the UK now.
http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/br...s/#accessories

Mark

John Mitchell December 19th, 2016 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Thomas (Post 1924970)
Thanks everyone.

I did look into the Blackmagic Studio Cameras but with the example videos online, I didn't feel the quality looked much better then the current cameras we have in there.

I guess it may be a good idea to rent one of each and see which I like the look of the most, and judge what is the most practical.

Yeah - you didn't mention what cameras you currently have or what you're trying to achieve by the upgrade. Most modern cameras perform pretty well if you light well - that is a basic pre-requisite and they are all only as good as the lens on the front. Some perform exceptionally well in low light.

The reason I suggested the BM micro studio cams is only because you could fit a 2/3" broadcast zoom on the front (needs a adapter and a doubler) and that is really an ideal setup for a studio camera.

They won't be as clean as the FS7 or the FS5 in low light but generally low light is not not a factor in studio setups. You also won't achieve the same shallow depth of field you get on the super35 sensors but that is more for artistic purposes and can make following focus in a live studio shoot difficult. You can still get some - it's still a micro 4/3rds sensor and if you are on full tele, anything F4 and below will get you some nice blurred backgrounds.

Of course if you already use PMW-200 or 300's the Blackmagic offering is nowhere near as good as those.

Drew Lahat September 28th, 2017 04:38 PM

I think the FS5 could be a great multicam option for certain markets. Apparently Sony thought so too, and came out with the MCX-500 switcher and RM-30BP remote control, which is probably as close as we'll get to a paintbox / CCU for that camera.
Apparently when the two are paired together, you even get tally preview/on-air on the FS5 (and a few others).

The MCX-500 looks too much like a toy for my taste, but the RM-30BP holds promise. We just someone to hack the RM-30BP's "option" port to convert it to any switcher's tally sink-voltage port. (I'd love to see Bradely Engineering, Skaarhoj, Boxx.tv, SkyDreams, or any of those guys take up on that.)

So why the FS5 over BlackMagic? I love the BM integration, but they "forgot" one little part of the package: the lens. I may be in a special niche, but I do multicam live streaming of music shows, so we want both shallow-DoF look and low-light sensitivity. The new E-mount Sony servo zooms are an excellent bang for the buck (particularly the 18-110), and they're only available for E-mount.

The BM cameras have great multicam integration, but their achilles heel is light sensitivity and servo zoom lens choice.