External monitor/recorder for FS5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old September 26th, 2017, 01:55 AM   #1
Major Player

External monitor/recorder for FS5

Hi all,

I've been looking for a decent external monitor and recorder for my FS5, with the intention of recording UHD 25/30p to the Avid DNXHR format.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I've spent a bit of time on Google but there are several options and I'm struggling to figure out which is the best way to go (Blackmagic Design Video Assist 4K 7", Atomos Shogun Inferno 7", Atomos Ninja Inferno 7", etc).

I've also read that the FS5 won't output to a monitor when recording 4k video and that you need to use the attached monitor. Is this the case?

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: External monitor/recorder for FS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Arnott View Post
Hi all,

I've been looking for a decent external monitor and recorder for my FS5, with the intention of recording UHD 25/30p to the Avid DNXHR format.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I've spent a bit of time on Google but there are several options and I'm struggling to figure out which is the best way to go (Blackmagic Design Video Assist 4K 7", Atomos Shogun Inferno 7", Atomos Ninja Inferno 7", etc).

I've also read that the FS5 won't output to a monitor when recording 4k video and that you need to use the attached monitor. Is this the case?

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)
1. Here is Philip Bloom's experience shooting with the FS5 and the Shogun Inferno:

Filming with the new FUJINON MK 50-135mm E mount Cine Lens with the Sony FS5 & Atomos Inferno | Philip Bloom- Blog

2. I shoot with the FS700 and the Shogun Inferno (same exact specs for RAW shooting externally as the FS5). I might help if you had a specific question. It will record UHD 25/30 UHD to DNXHR.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 04:48 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: External monitor/recorder for FS5

Jody,

WHEN IN 4K:
- The FS5 will output a video signal via HDMI to the external monitor OR to the attached LCD/EVF. It is a menu setting. If you hit the record button on the recorder (and do not record to the internal SD cards) then both the HDMI and the attached monitor could potentially be active.
- However, the signal will be limited to 8-bit UHD in 24/25/30p

WHEN IN 4K DCI WITH THE RAW UPGRADE:
- If you buy the RAW upgrade, the recorder (the Atomos at least) can covert the 12-bit 4K DCI RAW from the SDI port to 4K DCI 10-bit ProRes or DNxHR files. In this scenario, the HDMI port can still be active simultaneously - for a client monitor for example. The HDMI output will be S-Log2 so you need a client monitor with a LUT capability.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5