Sony FS7 for IR video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old May 30th, 2018, 09:41 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony FS7 for IR video

Hi ,

i was wondering if anyone here has tried the option of using the FS7 for IR video with a external IR light source , in case anyone has used it let me know plz.
Old May 30th, 2018, 07:21 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Sony FS7 for IR video

The FS7 does not have a Nightshot shooting mode.
Old May 31st, 2018, 07:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Doug would be better with details, but my guess is that the FS7 (and most professional cinema cameras) have IR filtration built in - which would make any kind of IR photography difficult or impossible. I don't know where in the camera the IR filtration actually occurs - though on the FS7 I wouldn't try to start messing with things.
The aberration in this norm seems to be the EVA1 (panasonic), which allows the IR filter to be slid out of the way as a menu (user button?) option. If shooting during the day with it you'd need to filter out 'normal' daylight frequencies - but if at night you could presumably just light with an IR source... Haven't tried it, but that seems to be the theory...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2018, 10:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Dave,

I guess that makes it more understandable for a a newbie like me.

So guess the only option i have is to buy a camcorder which does IR video instead.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 10:23 AM   #5
Major Player

As I said, I'm not an IR expert...
But if you already have an IR light source as well as the FS7, you could always give it a try at night and see what happens...
Also remember that most lenses are not designed for IR use, so you will probably find that the IR focus point (distances) will be different than for visible spectrum light.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2018, 07:53 PM   #6
Vortex Media

As I said, the FS7 is not going to work for IR, which Sony calls Nightshot. The Z150 and Z90 are a couple of cameras that have Nightshot built-in. It works great and can be turned on/off at the flip of a switch. They both have internal IR light emitters too, but to get really good results you should use an external IR light. Fortunately there are some inexpensive models. I've got an IR light made by Polaroid that cost only $40.
Old June 5th, 2018, 08:15 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Doug
Will try using one of the 2 suggested cameras.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5