FS7 + SELP 18-110. OSS switch non-functional? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old September 13th, 2018, 11:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FS7 + SELP 18-110. OSS switch non-functional?

I'm using the SELP 18-110 lens on a Sony PXW-FS7 camera.
The OSS switch on the lens barrel does not function. Is this normal?
The "SteadyShot" option via the camera menu is working. Steadyshot can only be turned on and off via the camera's menu.
SteadyShot cannot be turned on or off using the switch on the lens.

Running ver 4.1 firmware on mark I FS7 (original FS7)
Juan McFarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 10:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: FS7 + SELP 18-110. OSS switch non-functional?

I posted this elsewhere to the same question.

I don't have the 28-135 but I have the 18-110 and discussing this issue with other ops this is what I find and I'm pretty sure it applies to the 28-135.

Yes there is a VF icon if you have the SteadyShot display icon turned on in the VF menu. If it's on it will be a hand symbol 1/3rd the way down on the left VF margin that can indicate OFF or STD. If you have the Camera menu SteadyShot sub menu displayed in the viewfinder you will find by activating the SteadyShot function using an Assign button, assuming its assigned to a button, that the menu item will go from OFF to SteadySh and back again. The SteadyShot function can be turned OFF or ON and will function OFF or ON REGARDLESS of the SteadyShot switch position on the lens. Odd but that's the way it works. Well that's the case on my FS7. If it's not then my brain must be switching to some kind of smoother movement. At my age it's getting harder to tell!

EDIT: I believe the switch does function on some of the Sony A series APSC E-Mount cameras that don't have the same menu functions as the FS7.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2018, 12:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: FS7 + SELP 18-110. OSS switch non-functional?

Thanks for the info Chris!

Yep OSS works fine, just not via the physical switch. Only through the Sony menu.
I'll probably will assign a shortcut button to it.
Juan McFarland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Adorama
(800) 223-2500
New York, NY

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Texas Media Systems
(512) 440-1400
Austin, TX

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

VideoGuys
(800) 323-2325
Mineola, NY

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5