I need FS7 several seconds long masters straight from the camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old June 30th, 2015, 05:03 AM   #1
Inner Circle

I need FS7 several seconds long masters straight from the camera

I'm still trying to sell my heavy, cumbersome and over-complicated HD equipment which I can't handle any more due to my spinal cord condition. Already managed to sell the FS100 camera with all the belongings for quite a good price, so if I'm lucky enough and find a similar buyer interested with my stuff around the EX1 camera, I'll be able to say that I didn't loose to much and cameras earned for themselves during my ownership period...

In the meantime, I'm debating which camera to choose as my hobby tool; it must be compact and not too heavy (too light isn't good, either), and of course be future-proof as probably the last camera in my lifetime. As such, I simply couldn't pass on the FS7 and even though it's quite expensive to my current standards, it might be a good candidate. Therefore I'd be very grateful to my fellow forum members to provide me with some FS7 masters - short clips straight from the camera, without any edits, grades or even recompression... I realize the clips are heavy files, so several seconds ones will suffice.

Could someone provide me with link(s) to such clips? Thank you very much in advance

Piotr

PS. Since I don't have any specific LUT required, the clips should be in some color space & gamma ready for watching: Also, I'm mainly interested in UHD resolution!

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; June 30th, 2015 at 06:20 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 04:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: I need FS7 several seconds long masters straight from the camera

Piotr, Have you handled the FS7 yet? The reason I ask is that you mention that you have back problems and from my own experience using both the EX1r and FS 7 I know that the FS7 is noticeably heavier, particularly with the kit lens.
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 12:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Check your email Piotr I sent you 2 links with FS7 files.

QUOTE=Piotr Wozniacki;1891102]I'm still trying to sell my heavy, cumbersome and over-complicated HD equipment which I can't handle any more due to my spinal cord condition. Already managed to sell the FS100 camera with all the belongings for quite a good price, so if I'm lucky enough and find a similar buyer interested with my stuff around the EX1 camera, I'll be able to say that I didn't loose to much and cameras earned for themselves during my ownership period...

In the meantime, I'm debating which camera to choose as my hobby tool; it must be compact and not too heavy (too light isn't good, either), and of course be future-proof as probably the last camera in my lifetime. As such, I simply couldn't pass on the FS7 and even though it's quite expensive to my current standards, it might be a good candidate. Therefore I'd be very grateful to my fellow forum members to provide me with some FS7 masters - short clips straight from the camera, without any edits, grades or even recompression... I realize the clips are heavy files, so several seconds ones will suffice.

Could someone provide me with link(s) to such clips? Thank you very much in advance

Piotr

PS. Since I don't have any specific LUT required, the clips should be in some color space & gamma ready for watching: Also, I'm mainly interested in UHD resolution![/QUOTE]
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Geoff; good point.

Thanks Brian for the samples; applying LUT requires project properties to be set to 32 bit, which by itself makes editing those files impossible in Vegas on my current machine; proxies is the only way.

Piotr
Old July 29th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Addis View Post
Piotr, Have you handled the FS7 yet? The reason I ask is that you mention that you have back problems and from my own experience using both the EX1r and FS 7 I know that the FS7 is noticeably heavier, particularly with the kit lens.
Ditto. I have played around with the FS7 and it is significantly heavy.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 03:27 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
Ditto. I have played around with the FS7 and it is significantly heavy.
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your comments helping me pick the right camera given my partial disability problem. However let me explain that even a significantly heavier camera - once supported and balanced properly on my shoulder - is very much less of a problem than even the smallest and lightest camera if I need to hold it in one hand (handycam style); my right arm is partially paralyzed in such a peculiar way that - specifically under small weight, like a glass of water - it will tremble and shake (thus spilling the water around), or in the case of shooting video - it will make it very shaky picture, and tire in no time. The same right arm of mine can still lift considerable weights with no problem (but of course such a higher weight will cause pain and fatigue in my entire spine - the neck and arms in particular).

Considering the above, the FS7 form factor is by far more acceptable to me than that of say the X70/AX100 - provided of course that I can afford the former in the first place :)

Piotr
Old July 30th, 2015, 08:16 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
once supported and balanced properly on my shoulder - is very much less of a problem than even the smallest and lightest camera if I need to hold it in one hand
Given that, you will absolutely need the power back and V-mount batteries, plus the VCT-FS7 shoulder pad. That's what it took to get it properly balanced for me, otherwise it's very front heavy.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 02:57 AM   #8
Major Player

Piotr,

As others have stated, the FS7 is heavy. I've added the extension unit and a v-lock battery to give better balance. The result is a rather steady camera, but this adds quite a bit more weight as well. The hand grip is nice but will still require some effort to keep the camera steady. If you're unable to keep your right hand/arm steady, you won't have good shots. Even if you can manage it once it's on your shoulder, you have to first get it onto your shoulder, which is not so easy, even for myself. The camera is bulky and takes some strength to manipulate it. I find myself trying to work out the best way to keep hold of it while moving it to/from my shoulder. I'd say the best work around for you and this camera would be to use small, lighter weight lenses and a follow focus rather than use the Sony servo lens. This way you have less weight out front to have to counterbalance. Get a light weight shoulder pad (contoured to fit your shoulder) and try to balance it without going the v-lock battery route.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 10:37 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks to all of you for suggestions and sound advice; I'll certainly keep them in mind!

Piotr
Old September 21st, 2015, 01:14 PM   #10
Major Player

What about baby brother FS5 with a little rig for shoulder mount purposes, Piotr?
Old September 22nd, 2015, 04:16 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Considering it seriously; thanks!

Piotr

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5