PIX 240 mounting options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders

Old January 18th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PIX 240 mounting options

I am looking at ways to mount the 240 to my EX1 for run and gun doc shooting. I have a few methods I am investigating but nothing that I am happy with so far. Curious to see what others are doing. Descriptions with photos would be great. The one method I really want to avoid is mounting from the cold shoe. It makes the camera very top heavy and I run into issues with mounting mics and camera lights. Coming off of my rails at the back of the camera is ideal, just struggling to find the right solution.

Thanks,
Dave
Old January 19th, 2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: PIX 240 mounting options

It's taken me a while to find something I'm happy with. The 'magic arm' friction type arrangements all seem to move around over time and you spend way too long fiddling. I too wanted to come off the rear rails because the F3 holes don't look up to the job with a PIX240.

In the end I've settled on using the Zacuto EVF Rod Mount plus an extra short rod. This means there's now a quick release hole on the PIX240 and I've total control of the position - tilt, pan, side to side etc.

Using Zacuto's photo below: I've used the horizontal black rod to extend the vertical rod upwards and then used the additional 4.5" male to female short rod as a replacement. This gives side to side adjustment which you need with the F3 for batteries, caddies etc.

Please excuse the rubbish iPhone snaps but it's much easier to explain with pictures. Everything locks off totally solid - as is normal with Zacuto.
Attached Thumbnails
PIX 240 mounting options-img_0590.jpg   PIX 240 mounting options-img_0591.jpg  

PIX 240 mounting options-img_0593.jpg   PIX 240 mounting options-img_0594.jpg  

PIX 240 mounting options-evfrodmount1.jpg  
Paul Ream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Looks like a good solution. Might work for me as well.
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Nice solution. Wouldn't work for me because I hang a Zacuto cheesplate with Anton Bauer back off the rear rods.

I'm still using a Noga arm for the Pix (as well as one for the Zacuto EVF) and just hate those articulating arms. Trying to figure out the most effective and cost-effective solution to both mounting issues.

Ned
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Paul,
That looks very promising. Thanks for sharing your set-up and especially the photos. Could I request one more snap? I'd love to see a view looking straight down with the PIX swung off to the side. I need my mounting solution to be completely off axis due to my battery set-up coming out the rear of my cam. Thanks!
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:22 PM   #6
New Boot

Abel LA has a mounting solution with AB Brick and the PIX hanging off the back.

One of our guys snapped this pic while they were there last week. Check in with them for specifics of the solution.
Attached Thumbnails
PIX 240 mounting options-pixabellamount.jpg  
Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:31 PM   #7
New Boot

I've tried different ways. With arms, Zacuto accessories, Zacuto cheeseplates etc. None were near as good, compact, lightweight and rock solid for the F3 than the following:

Custom RAM Mount with 1/4-20 & 3/8" Thread :: Monitor Brackets, Supports and Accessories :: Monitors :: Equipment Sales :: AbelCine

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761763-REG/AJA_KIMINIRDNPLT_R0_Rod_Accessory_Plate_for.html
Sony PMW-F3 Top Accessory Extension Plate | | Berkey System

MULTI-PURPOSE MOUNTING CHEESE PLATE WITH AUTON BAEUR - PLATE - PLATE - Accessories - Shape Wlb

1) Take the KiPro Rod Accessory plate and mount that on the rails.
2) Take the Berkey Extension plate and mount that using the KiPro thumb screws
3) Screw 3/8 make screw end of the Abel Cine custom RAM Mount into the Berkey Extension plate
Screw 1/4 end of the RAM mount into the centre 1/4 hole of the Berkey Extension Plate
4) Screw the Pix 240 into the 1/4 inch thread end of the Ram mount

See the pics attached and follow the links to locate where to buy the items in this mounting package. By far and away the best mounting solution for this I've found and anything else I've seen out there.

Abel Cine Ram Mount: $55.00
AJA KiPro rod accessory: $150.00
Sony F3 Top Berkey extension plate: $95.00

Total: $300.00 and worth every penny. No more worries about arms getting loose or in the way. The monitor of the PIX 240 faces to the back allowing the sound man, director, or producer to see what is being framed and filmed. The Ram mount allows the PIX 240 to move up and down mounting. If preferred, you can even mount the PIX so that the monitor LCD faces directly out to the camera operator, allowing easier recording checks.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
PIX 240 mounting options-mount-1.jpg   PIX 240 mounting options-mount_2.jpg  

PIX 240 mounting options-mount_3.jpg   PIX 240 mounting options-dsc01391.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by John Hopkins; April 24th, 2012 at 12:48 AM.
John Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #8
New Boot

Abel Cine Ram Mount: $55.00
AJA KiPro rod accessory: $150.00
Sony F3 Top Berkey extension plate: $95.00

Total: $300.00 and worth every penny. No more worries about arms getting loose or in the way. The monitor of the PIX 240 faces to the back allowing the sound man, director, or producer to see what is being framed and filmed. The Ram mount allows the PIX 240 to move up and down mounting. If preferred, you can even mount the PIX so that the monitor LCD faces directly out to the camera operator, allowing easier recording checks.
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #9
New Boot

Use the Shape Cheese Plate/AB battery combo on the rails behind the PIX 240 recorder as assembled above. The Shape Cheese plate can handle Swit batteries with clearance above the rails for easy shifting back and forth, and it's lighter weight and smaller than the Zacuto Cheese plate which I would not recommend buying. Send mine back and swapped it for the Shape which was cheaper and better.
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #10
Regular Crew

There's also now the new option of the PIX-MOUNT accessory available from the SD web site here:
Accessory Products | Sound Devices, LLC

This gives you three more 1/4 20 mounting points in the bottom of the PIX.
Paul Ream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ream View Post
There's also now the new option of the PIX-MOUNT accessory available from the SD web site here:
Accessory Products | Sound Devices, LLC

This gives you three more 1/4 20 mounting points in the bottom of the PIX.
After fiddling around and purchasing an articulating bracket and extension plate and other bits, I've just noticed (after seeing your post) that my PIX140 already has those mounting points on it! Wish I'd known that 2 hours ago.

Oh well, the articulating bracket still comes in handy. Here's the basic setup attached to the accessory mounting plate on the Miller Compass 20.

Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:18 PM   #12
New Boot

There is also this which is very affordable and will be solid, although the weight will likely be off to the side a bit being mounted on one of the rails. For handheld work, you will want the weight of your rig to be as centred as it can between the rails behind your shoulder. This should be not bad at all, though not perfect.

MOUNTING ACCESSORIES FOR LCD MONITORS

Cinevate Uno Universal Accessory Mount - $125 - in stock
Many accessories like transmitters and LCD monitors provide a female 1/4" 20 thread for mounting. This Uno Universal Accessory mount can be affixed to a 15mm rod, and configured nearly anywhere on your rig. A single "Kip" handle allows you to toollessly adjust the universal mount to virtually any direction, angle or rotation.

See: Marshall LCD Monitor Noga Cine Lock J-Clamp Mounting Bracket Articulating Arm
Attached Images

Old June 1st, 2013, 03:37 AM   #13
Tourist

Hi Everyone,

Check out my solution for mounting the Pix240 on an F3.

I created a Custom cheeseplate called ENDURO POWER for the PIX that replace the entire back of the PIX . On my cheese plate is either an Anton or IDX battery plate. The battery plate internally powers the PIX and allow provides power to the Sony F3.

One battery powers everything!

The ENDURO POWER has over 20 mounting points in 1/4-20 & 3/8-16. The hole spacing is industry standard, and conforms to 9mm spacing increments.

You can see more at: oceanvideoDOTcom

My favorite setup for the Sony F3 is with an Element/Technica base plate with rear rods. On the bottom of my bracket I attach a Wooden Camera rod adapter and the PIX240 securly attaches.

You can see more at: ENDURO 4 PIX

Last edited by Jeb Johenning; June 1st, 2013 at 03:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Jeb Johenning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders