Announcing the new PIX-E Series of Field Recording Monitors - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 4th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Announcing the new PIX-E Series of Field Recording Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Isaacs View Post
Hi Cliff,

I cannot state that the SDI model will or will never have Sony RAW.... I'm starting to sound like a politician:)
There are other benefits to having SDI other than RAW, if nothing other than increasing compatibility with a wider range of cameras, bit depths, 444, SDI metadata....
Note that there is only a $200 difference between the E5 and E5H.

Expect shipping this Summer, E5 first, then E5H, then E7. Sorry I can't be more precise at this time.

Paul
Well?...as a simple consumer who knows nothing, I can only "speculate" the following:

1.) The fact that you are unable to discuss in any way, the possible feature of SDI and RAW recording, points to this being a "touchy" or "controversial" subject.

2.) If the technical answer was a simple: "No, I'm sorry this unit can't process RAW data over the SDI port"...than I'm sure you could have stated that as an EASY "no".

3.) The fact that you can't easily say "no" could mean that there is some internal discussion about it being mechanically "possible". (Again, if the SDI hardware, chip and port were wired in a way that made RAW data impossible,...than your answer would have been a very, very easy, "no")

The PIX E5 being able to record Sony or Canon RAW is very interesting. However, the company's unwillingness to discuss the matter is far, FAR more interesting to me. I wonder what the hesitation comes from. It's well known that the competition is working on it. I'm sure they suspect that you have an equal interest in SDI/RAW too. So,...there is no secret there.

Sorry if I'm speculating out loud here but you can't blame me as a consumer for trying! ;-)

I'm sure many of us would hate to buy the SDI model if we dont need SDI and I'm sure many of us would be upset if we got the HDMI model only to find out later that the SDI model CAN do RAW!

This is one of those things that you really need to know BEFORE you make your choice on which model that you need. (Otherwise you could lose a couple hundred bucks for no reason)

CT ;-)

Last edited by Cliff Totten; May 5th, 2015 at 05:41 AM.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 01:03 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Expect shipping this Summer, E5 first, then E5H, then E7. Sorry I can't be more precise at this time.
I was hoping for an E5H for my major project this year in July but it looks like it won't be shipping until after that. Regardless, I'm still planning to order one once it's released.

Paul you don't happen to have a demo unit you could lend for a couple weeks in early-mid July do you?
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #18
Trustee

I find Paul’s “I am not going to speculate on possible future upgrades stance" refreshing! It is honest and reeks of integrity. I understand everyone’s concern about how fast technology changes. But the paranoia behind that thinking has led some manufacturers to play off of it. A lot of products are now rushed to market before they are functional just to get you to buy in. It is also now common for future upgrades to be listed in product specs, even with no release date. Some products never get the promised upgrades or it comes far later than implied. And here is the one that insults me the most, “This product is future proof!” Really???

What I find so exciting about these new monitor/recorders is the price. So my question is can we expect all Video Device products to be built with the same quality standards as the Sound Devices line? SD products are in a league almost of their own and you pay dearly for that quality standard. Are Video Device products cheapened up in manufacturing to be competitive price wise? They look great. I will be keeping my eye on them for future needs. I hope you stay honest, stay real, and stay the best in the business.

Steve
Old May 27th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #19
Sound Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Sharp View Post
I was hoping for an E5H for my major project this year in July but it looks like it won't be shipping until after that. Regardless, I'm still planning to order one once it's released.

Paul you don't happen to have a demo unit you could lend for a couple weeks in early-mid July do you?
Hi Matt

There will be no demo PIX-Es prior to shipping of production units. All our energies are currently focussed on intensive debugging and thorough testing of PIX-E firmware so that we can get a rock-solid PIX-E shipping soon. The PIX-E5 model with SDI and HDMI I/O will be first to ship. Things are progressing very well, but I don't want to promise an exact shipping date at this time.

Paul
Paul Isaacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Things are progressing very well, but I don't want to promise an exact shipping date at this time.
Paul, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who thinks that these devices can't ship soon enough!
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #21
Sound Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post

What I find so exciting about these new monitor/recorders is the price. So my question is can we expect all Video Device products to be built with the same quality standards as the Sound Devices line? SD products are in a league almost of their own and you pay dearly for that quality standard. Are Video Device products cheapened up in manufacturing to be competitive price wise? They look great. I will be keeping my eye on them for future needs. I hope you stay honest, stay real, and stay the best in the business.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Fair question and one we are asked regularly, but I can assure you that there is absolutely no compromise on the PIX-E's build quality. It has the same rugged industrial design characteristics that all Sound Devices and Video Devices products are well known for. The affordable price is primarily down to advances in technology combined with some rather clever engineering.

Check this video of a car driving over PIX-E
https://youtu.be/UVgc3ghJzYk?list=PL...OM96oVKVp-eWEx

Paul
Old May 28th, 2015, 06:05 AM   #22
Trustee

Before NAB, I was about to buy a second Shogun. However, once i picked up a Pix 5e, i was completly sold on it. Im very excited about this recorder, its exactly the size and form factor im looking for.

I love this video too....very nice job on the build quality!

I know you dont want to commit to release days but are we looking at June, July or August?

Im holding off buying a second recorder just to wait for this unit. :-)
Old May 28th, 2015, 09:49 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Fair question and one we are asked regularly, but I can assure you that there is absolutely no compromise on the PIX-E's build quality. It has the same rugged industrial design characteristics that all Sound Devices and Video Devices products are well known for. The affordable price is primarily down to advances in technology combined with some rather clever engineering.

Check this video of a car driving over PIX-E
https://youtu.be/UVgc3ghJzYk?list=PL...OM96oVKVp-eWEx

Paul
Interesting. It seems if someone manhandles you in a busy street, you can hit back with your Pix-E. :)

I would be glad to atleast know the month of shipping, if not the exact date. It helps in planning.
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:43 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I'm sold on the Pix - only problem now is actually getting one!
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 06:26 PM   #25
Trustee

Hi Paul,

It was great to meet you at InfoComm.

Can you give us any status update on when the Pix E5 will hit the streets?
Old July 7th, 2015, 06:41 PM   #26
Sound Devices

We're anticipating PIX-E5 will ship within a month. That's not 100% but as of now, looking good.

Paul
Old July 8th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
We're anticipating PIX-E5 will ship within a month. That's not 100% but as of now, looking good.
Fingers crossed!
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 09:44 AM   #28
Trustee

Thanks for the update. Even a tentative one. Another question, will the XLR attachment ship at the same time as the unit?
Old July 10th, 2015, 11:20 PM   #29
Sound Devices

The PIX-LR will ship about 1-2 months after PIX-E5.

Paul
Old July 11th, 2015, 11:29 AM   #30
Trustee

Paul - I've got a technical question about screen types. One of the annoying problems with screens used in video equipment is they typically don't work very well in sunlight. By comparison, the screens used in many marine applications actually seem to work better in bright sunlight.

See the radar and chart plotters at West Marine: Chartplotters | GPS & Radar | Marine Electronics | West Marine

There must be some reason why screens used for video purposes are different. Is this anything you can shed some light on?
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders