Announcing the new PIX-E Series of Field Recording Monitors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 2nd, 2015, 10:38 AM   #1
Sound Devices

Announcing the new PIX-E Series of Field Recording Monitors

The PIX-E Series is a new line of camera-mounted recording monitors that feature 1920x1080 five-inch (PIX-E5 and PIX-E5H) and 1920x1200 seven-inch (PIX-E7) LCDs, a full suite of precision monitoring tools, SDI and HDMI I/O, plus the ability to record 4K and Apple ProRes 4444 XQ edit-ready files to affordable mSATA-based SpeedDrives™.

PIX-E Series - Video Devices

Come and check them out at the Video Devices /Sound Devices booth at NAB, #C6040
Paul Isaacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 01:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Announcing the new PIX-E Series of Field Recording Monitors

These look very interesting! One thing of note, on the website it looks like it will only record 4K via HDMI (not SDI) -- is that correct?
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 01:10 PM   #3
Sound Devices

Yes - 4K over HDMI only.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 01:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Interesting. Any future for 4k over SDI?

Also, is pricing available? Thanks.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 01:43 PM   #5
Sound Devices

Pricing details are not available yet, but all three models will be competitive.

The PIX-E support only 4K over HDMI e.g. from cameras such as FS7, A7s, GH4 etc
PIx-E SDI supports HD up to 1080p60.

Which cameras with 4K over SDI do you want to use?
Old April 2nd, 2015, 01:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Paul. Was thinking about 4K from the FS7 via SDI rather than HDMI since I feel more confident in SDI.

I have been waiting for SD to release a 4K recorder as I love the products and have been using them for years (including a PIX240i)!
Old April 2nd, 2015, 02:35 PM   #7
Sound Devices

Thanks Steve for your kind words.

Nice thing about HDMI is its a single cable approach to uncompressed 4K. With SDI it currently needs to be RAW format (which complicates workflow) or, for uncompressed, typically 4x BNC connections ... spaghetti hell:)

And as far as a single cable 12-G SDI approach, well there's no evidence to suggest that'll become an industry wide standard.
Old April 16th, 2015, 09:16 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The comparison chart on the website shows "4K Input to HD Ouput Scaling."

Might be a silly question, but can the scaled output also be recorded? For realtime down-conversion from an A7s or GH4 4K output, for instance? Thanks.
Kris Kohuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 11:59 AM   #9
Major Player

Hello Paul,
Will it support the new Canon C300 Mark II 4K raw? The C300 Mark II records 4K 30p max internally and by odyssey 7Q/7Q+ one can record 4K 60p. Any idea if your product is going to also record 4K 60p? At the moment the spec sheet is 4K 24p. Not even 4K 25p. Sound devices is a company I trust. If there is a future firmware upgrade path, then I would be very interested in your product.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old April 23rd, 2015, 09:44 PM   #10
Sound Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Kohuth View Post
The comparison chart on the website shows "4K Input to HD Ouput Scaling."

Might be a silly question, but can the scaled output also be recorded? For realtime down-conversion from an A7s or GH4 4K output, for instance? Thanks.
Hi Kris

Not a silly question at all! Down-converting from 4k output to HD is going to give a better quality HD than outputting HD from the camera. At this time the answer is no, but thanks for the feature request.

Paul
Old April 23rd, 2015, 09:55 PM   #11
Sound Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
Hello Paul,
Will it support the new Canon C300 Mark II 4K raw? The C300 Mark II records 4K 30p max internally and by odyssey 7Q/7Q+ one can record 4K 60p. Any idea if your product is going to also record 4K 60p? At the moment the spec sheet is 4K 24p. Not even 4K 25p. Sound devices is a company I trust. If there is a future firmware upgrade path, then I would be very interested in your product.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Hi Sabyasachi,

Thanks for your feature request for RAW. At Sound Devices, we prefer not talk about our future feature plans - we don't like to make false promises. In terms of future upgrade path, if you look at the firmware history of any of our video or audio products, you can see that they evolve significantly over time with firmware updates. At first release, we will be supporting 4096x2160 @ 24fps and 3840x2160 @ 30fps.

Paul
Old April 24th, 2015, 06:03 AM   #12
Major Player

If these would record the FS700 raw 4K to ProRes, they would be a no-brainer. Would much rather get one of these than the Atomos Shogun. Unless I can swing a Odyssey 7Q, but they are a bit out of my price range... As long as the PIX-Es don't record FS700 they are a no-go for me however.
Old April 28th, 2015, 07:44 PM   #13
Trustee

Hi Paul,

I'm currently a Shogun owner and I'm looking for a second unit. Your 5 inch models seem perfect.

Question:

I currently only need HDMI UHD recording so those models seem fine for me. I know that you stated that you don't discuss future upgrades. However, would there be any future benefit to me for buying the SDI recording model? If a future Sony RAW upgrade is planned, than only the SDI could model could potentially support it. (The HDMI-only model will never have RAW in the future)

Can you state that the 5 inch SDI model will never have Sony RAW in the future? If this is the case, than I will happily buy the HDMI-only model. I need to at least know that information now before I buy either of your recorders..

Also,..when will these 5 inch models get to the stores?

Thanks!
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 09:48 PM   #14
Sound Devices

Hi Cliff,

I cannot state that the SDI model will or will never have Sony RAW.... I'm starting to sound like a politician:)
There are other benefits to having SDI other than RAW, if nothing other than increasing compatibility with a wider range of cameras, bit depths, 444, SDI metadata....
Note that there is only a $200 difference between the E5 and E5H.

Expect shipping this Summer, E5 first, then E5H, then E7. Sorry I can't be more precise at this time.

Paul
Old May 1st, 2015, 08:31 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I placed a pre-order for the E7. I'm sort of expecting it in September (plus/minus a month or so)

Am I more or less in the right ballpark?

I have a late December recording session planned that I want to use the E7 for and I'm hoping to get it a month or two before so I have time to familiarize myself with it a bit ahead of time.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders