PIX E5 in my hands! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 11th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: PIX E5 in my hands!

Paul,....is there any plan to add fast forward and rewind into playback? Being able to "scrub" a cursor back and forth on a video file would also be very helpful.

Can you give and clues as to what is coming in future firmware for the PIX E5?

Loving this recorder/monitor today!

CT

Oh,..for the battery questions. I tested recordings using just ONE, single Sony NP-F770:

UHD ProRes = 59 minutes.

1080 Prores via SDI = 110 minutes
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 10:30 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Isaacs View Post
Curious as to why some cameras force recording to stop after 29 minutes. Is that a file size limitation of the disk format they use or something else?
Paul
It is a Eurozone tariff issue. Video cameras pay a higher level of tax than still cameras. The current Eurozone definition of a videocamera for tax purposes is a camera that can record continuously for 30 minutes or more. So there are a large number of cameras that stop recording a clip when the current clip length hits somewhere in the range of 29 minutes 0 seconds to 29 minutes 59 seconds.

The bulk of video shooting I do is recording events, generally 45 minutes to 2+ hours. There are any number of cameras that would be nice to use as fixed cameras, but the clip length limit is a no-go for me. And even with an external recorder, you need to be sure the camera won't go to sleep/auto-turn off as it could decide it isn't doing anything.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 10:50 PM   #18
Sound Devices

We prefer not to give details on what's coming in future firmware. All you need to know is that we love to hear all your feature requests and suggestions as this helps us make decisions on how a product evolves.
Take a look at the firmware history of some of our products and you can see that they evolve considerably throughout their life cycle.

e.g. PIX 240(i) Firmware v3.52 - Video Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
Paul,....is there any plan to add fast forward and rewind into playback? Being able to "scrub" a cursor back and forth on a video file would also be very helpful.

Can you give and clues as to what is coming in future firmware for the PIX E5?

Loving this recorder/monitor today!

CT

Oh,..for the battery questions. I tested recordings using just ONE, single Sony NP-F770:

UHD ProRes = 59 minutes.

1080 Prores via SDI = 110 minutes
Paul Isaacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 12:41 PM   #19
Major Player

HDMI trigger is a must
Raw/DNXhd is a must
The Pix E5 is a must for 4k on a A7S (the shogun is too big)
LUTS Please!!!!
+1 for 500gb EVO

Thanks and keep em coming
Mestizo Devon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders