New forum suggestion: one-person crews - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

SPC - Single Person Crew
Who said "One is the Loneliest Number?" You'll never walk alone here.

Old December 2nd, 2011, 07:15 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: New forum suggestion: one-person crews

If it helps any, a recent survey on the Wedding Forum showed that the overall majority of us wedding videographers tend to shoot solo and only now and gain use an assistant so most topics in the wedding forum are already from one person crews.

However there could be considerable benefit for other shooters especially indie shooters who often will, as already said, film and act in their own movie!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 02:17 AM   #17
Major Player

In Sydney, TV stations are now sending out a number of SPC's (single Person crews) to cover basic media releases. Audio is usually just line out from a desk.
I did see a funny scenario from a well-known sports channel that sent out a SPC to work with a presenter, and who decided to also use a reflector. So, locked off the shot, checked the levels, ran around to the side and bounced in the light. Run back, cut and check shot. Do again for safety....very funny.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #18
Major Player

I think a virtual member map might be useful. A member could insert a diiferent color symbol (say a star for legal businesses a dot for others) where they are located on a zoomable map. mouse over the star and get the public information / gear / experience etc on that person or entity. Blue symbol cinema, gold TV, red journalism, white still. Big project, just a thought from the many times people are looking for help and would promote DV members and their businesses.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #19
Regular Crew

OK, given the unique nature of the topic it might not be a bad idea.
Old December 4th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #20
Major Player

This is a great idea. There are things you do as one-person crew that specific to one man bands.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #21
Major Player

SPC: Wondering about H4n on 5D rigs...

I solo most things. But I can cull information from a post that just has "information" in. I thought it sounded great at first, but what if we try to just ask a question in a "normal" thread and simply tag it "One Person Crew Rules In Effect"...or something like that.

SPC: See Title above

Bet that works for now, though if there were an SPC forum I'd use it...

Old December 6th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #22
Major Player

As far as I know there isn't such a forum anywhere else. If I'm wrong, I'd love to know where to find it. I think its a fantastic idea with great potential.

I appreciate what some have said about the possibility of duplicate posts but as far as I'm concerned, the benefit of having such posts in one place would outweigh this. Some clearly posted ground rules on using the forum would probably help with that and yes, the moderators would still probably need to keep a close eye, at least to begin with.

As someone on some dvinfo forum said, "its about learning the art of acceptable compromise". No one likes to admit there is any kind of compromise in their work but then there's reality, especially in uncontrolled shooting environments.

One of the bigger things I deal with in shooting both documentary and live events is anticipating what I'll need without lugging around too much gear (and often having them in places where they might get a little help in walking away). When shooting situations are frequently so different, its very easy to bring too much, too little or just the right amount but not quite the right stuff. No crystal balls out there I'm sure, but we all pick up little things along the way that the next person would never think of.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #23
Major Player

Jase, I really appreciate your last paragraph, especially since I've gotten to an age where "lugging" is one of the biggest challenges. Another thing I try to do is get the best things for my needs, even if they cost a bit more, because they often seem to do some of the work for me, and prevent excessive worry.
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #24
New Boot

perhaps a smiley that indicates "one man band"
graphics people get to it !
Steve Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #25
Major Player

I have to echo the one or two members that spoke on "duplicate" information in threads. I can't quite put my finger on it, probably because I'm sitting at work, but I don't see a great benefit. It is a good idea, but I think tagging the post as SPC or something like mentioned above would be just as effective. Or even if there was a sticky about One Person Shooting that answered basic questions like "how much gear to bring" and "am I responsible for audio if I'm the video guy?" I understand that some info is specific to the single person crews, but I think so much more is the same. The goal is always to be prepared and to effectively get the job done.

Currently, I'm solo on 80% - 85% of my gigs.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #26
Regular Crew

i think it's great idea
Matija Petrovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #27
Regular Crew

I think it would be very interesting. I am doing Indie Docs as a one person crew.
Andreas Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Everything I usually ever do is only me so I support very strongly having this kind of "one man show" forum area.

I see it going to be more and more necessary in the future as well.
Dylan Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #29
Trustee

This suggestion for a thread/forum on one-person crews is a good idea.
Old January 12th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase Tanner View Post
As far as I know there isn't such a forum anywhere else. If I'm wrong, I'd love to know where to find it. I think its a fantastic idea with great potential.

I appreciate what some have said about the possibility of duplicate posts but as far as I'm concerned, the benefit of having such posts in one place would outweigh this.
So true.

I reckon DVINFO would benefit by having a forum for one person crews. As mentioned above it would be the only one on the internet, so this should draw new users into the network here; which can only be a good thing.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew