B Roll Camera Recommendation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew

SPC - Single Person Crew
Who said "One is the Loneliest Number?" You'll never walk alone here.

Old April 9th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Major Player

B Roll Camera Recommendation

Hi everyone:

Accidently post it in the wrong thread, so hopefully I got it right.

I was just looking to get some recommendations of a budget friendly B Roll camera to compliment
my NX5U. Some folks mentioned the GOPro3 and the Sony Cx260v. Or even the Sony HDR-PJ430,
But other than picture quality that's comparable with the NX5U, the only other attributes I'm looking for is
better stable-izing mode, shoots well in low light, and can use SDHC cards.

I've used the Kodak Zi8, before but the shots have been lot more choppier to correct in post, and
has some peculiar problems when incorporating to FC7 (even after formating to pro-res et all)

The B roll would be use for alternate visual for documentaries, run and gun shoots, or
as an emergency backup if something goes wrong with the NX5U performance. (I know but it saved
my bacon in planning for such contingency), Could also be a life saver on those solo shoot where I mount the NX5U on the tripod, and use something handheld to run between taking B shots, and checking the NX5U.

Thanks!

Robert
Robert Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: B Roll Camera Recommendation

The GH2 has been working well for me for a while. Available inexpensively (~$400 or less for a body, used), can use a wide variety of cheap-to-expensive lenses, compact, and excellent quality - plus adds in selective focus shot possibilities
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #3
New Boot

Pentax Q
Small, image stabilization built into the body, interchangeable lenses. Manual video control. 1080p30FPS. With the 47mm EQ F1.9, it's decent in low light for a small sensor camera. Available fisheye, and adapter for Pentax K lenses. Built-in intervalometer and ND filter. Small enough to be mounted like a GoPro on a car or motorcycle. Could be had used for around $250.

Panasonic LX-7
Serious point-and-shoot with 24-90mm EQ F1.4-2.3 lens. Great lens but prone to flare. Manual video control. Built-in ND filter. 1080p at 24, 30, or 60FPS. 720p at 120FPS. Image stabilization. Video image quality is marginally better than Pentax Q. Can be found for around $300 new when on sale.

Neither will get you GH2 image quality but they'll be miles ahead of the Kodak you are using now and better than GoPro too with more flexibility. Best of luck!
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Major Player

I'm looking for a new B-roll camera myself. I just purchased a gopro 3, which I used last week, and got a phenomenal result, but I think that can only be used in specific situations. I use a Canon T3i and Canon VIXIA HV30, (which is funny because I'm a Sony guy) right now. I would like to have a second camera that has low light, both auto and manual, but can be left in auto, if necessary. IMO, unless you are looking for a specific look and you can only have 1 B-roll camera, it wouldn't be a DSLR.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #5
Major Player

I'd hate to be without a DSLR option, as they are just so handy for some things, but I find I can also seamlessly slot in footage from my Canon G1X compact, so long as it doesn't need too much done to it in post. The G1X is so light and small it can get to places my other cameras can't, and it has useful image stabilisation. So that's a Canon 1DMK4 and XF300 along with the G1X.
Old April 26th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Although it's a different look, a colleague suggest the Samsung EX2F, but recently saw some on the NX1000, I've looked at the pro-s and cons, but seems like a toss up.

Looks like the EX2F has a better F stop, and better image stablizer for B Roll take but the picture quality may be better with the NX1000, so thought I get your take.

I think it's in the $300 to $350 range.... which is 1/2 than what I see going for the Canon Rebel...

Samsung EX2F vs NX1000 - Our Analysis
Robert Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew