DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   SPC - Single Person Crew (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/spc-single-person-crew/)
-   -   Cheap unmanned camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/spc-single-person-crew/515819-cheap-unmanned-camera.html)

Marcello Mazzilli April 15th, 2013 02:46 AM

Cheap unmanned camera

Hi,
I do events and I would like to have some cameras, with no cameraman, around the room in key positions. I am looking for something that should have the following characteristics.

- Good optical zoom (a camera could be pointing at a single speaker)
- Microphone Input (sometimes I need to input audio from an audio mixer the other side of the room and pass it along the HDMI chain)
- Full HD both Interlaced and Progressive
- Good video quality
- Low live HDMI output delay (difficult to find info on this online)
- Cheap (need to buy few of them)

As use is for LIVE I am not interested in compression, disk space, effects, titling, lights mount, etc...

Seems an easy request but in my researches I found that many of the low end don't have a Microphone Input and tend to be only progressive OR interlaced.

I found the SONY CX320E that should have all the characteristics although seems impossible to find a review around from somebody that actually used it and could tell me more about the video quality.
Anyone can help on this?
Do you have other cameras to suggest?

Chris DeVoe April 16th, 2013 02:00 PM

Re: Cheap unmanned camera

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli (Post 1790536)
Good optical zoom (a camera could be pointing at a single speaker)
- Microphone Input (sometimes I need to input audio from an audio mixer the other side of the room and pass it along the HDMI chain)

I do multicam shooting, and only worry about a microphone input on one of my cameras. I record audio on all the cameras, but just use that audio to sync.

But if it is an issue, you could just add a tiny, cheap mixer like a Rolls MX-36, that takes an XLR microphone pair in and outputs a stereo mini-phone signal that you can plug into a wide range of consumer cameras.

I shoot with one Canon XH-A1 and a number of Canon HF-S100s. I'll use the XH-A1 with my condenser mics, and take the board feed into one of the HF-S100s. It took some experimenting to get the optimum levels for the manual audio input on the camera, but since then, I am very happy with the results.

Quote:

- Full HD both Interlaced and Progressive
- Good video quality
- Low live HDMI output delay (difficult to find info on this online)
- Cheap (need to buy few of them)
Not sure about the rest of your list, but for cheap, an external mixer give you far more options,

Marcello Mazzilli April 16th, 2013 02:13 PM

Mixer is not a problem... The thing is that not many low end cameras have audio in jack.
I'll chek the models you list. I don't eant to mix cameras because i am afraid of differences in hdmi delay (talking about fractions of a second).
Thanks anyway

Chris DeVoe April 17th, 2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli (Post 1790824)
Mixer is not a problem... The thing is that not many low end cameras have audio in jack.

Not an audio jack, but quite a few of them have a microphone in jack. The Rolls mixer I linked to has a microphone level output, and the circuitry to block the phantom power that exists on consumer camcorder microphone jacks.

Quote:

I'll chek the models you list. I don't eant to mix cameras because i am afraid of differences in hdmi delay (talking about fractions of a second).
Thanks anyway
How many cameras are you talking about? For instance, I have 3 Canon HF-S100s, which I bought used for approximately $199 each. I'm fairly confident that all would have matching HDMI delay.

Marcello Mazzilli April 17th, 2013 06:13 PM

Great tip that phantom thing... I had not thought of that... O will need to find a solution.
I will need to 2-3 cameras too. The ones you have arr 1.000$ new but if you found them at 200$ used is a good deal... I will need to do the same... I was thinking of NEW Sony cheap but also used better ones is not bad... I'll give a look around and see what I find.
Thanks for help.

Mike Watson April 17th, 2013 10:24 PM

That Canon HF camera is $1000 because it has been out of production since 2009. It didn't sell for $1000 in it's best day.

Look at a current Canon Vixia for something similar. This one has a mic in and HDMI out for $315.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Vixia-Me...6258765&sr=8-2

Marcello Mazzilli April 18th, 2013 01:04 AM

In Europe where I live I think the same cameras are the LEGRIA series and the first I found with a mike costs around 430€... That is why as far as now the best buy (at least new) for me is Sony cx320e that I fond at 330€ allthough Ican't find any review around

Paul McDaniel April 19th, 2013 02:55 PM

I wish I could find some HF S100's for $199. That would help me a lot.

Marcello Mazzilli April 19th, 2013 03:07 PM

I'm lookin around.. in Europe you can get them around 350€ I think that's more than 400$

Chris DeVoe April 19th, 2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul McDaniel (Post 1791475)
I wish I could find some HF S100's for $199. That would help me a lot.

I had a lot of luck on eBay.

I want to get a camera to replace my older HF-200. But most of the inexpensive cameras have those damnable touch screens. I love the physical controls of the HF-S100, especially the very useful programmable knob, but I'd love to find something the same size, with a joystick/knob interface, but with higher resolution and better low light.

One thing I don't like about the HF-S100 is the location of the SD card port, that requires removing it from the tripod to change the media. I frequently have to do multiple shows in one venue, and have to change cards between shows.

Jeremy Doyle May 6th, 2013 01:26 PM

Last week I walked into a Costco and they were closing out the Canon HF-R300. I bought the last 2 they had for $125 a piece.

Maybe you can find a close out close to you.

Marcello Mazzilli May 6th, 2013 01:39 PM

I love US.. unfortunately I live in Europe.. never heard of such offers !