DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   SPC - Single Person Crew (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/spc-single-person-crew/)
-   -   Multi-cam IVs and timecode (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/spc-single-person-crew/519490-multi-cam-ivs-timecode.html)

Jody Arnott October 14th, 2013 08:33 PM

Multi-cam IVs and timecode

Not sure if this is the best forum for this question.. but I'm a SPC, so it'll do :)

I've currently in the middle of a project that requires a lot of interviews. I've been using two cameras for each interview, mainly to give me more options in post; my JVC HM600 (medium close up) and Canon XA10 (close up). They match surprisingly well with a bit of basic colour grading.

To this point I've been ignoring timecode and just sticking the CU over the top of the MCU on my timeline, and syncing the audio manually.

Doing it this way is obviously time consuming. Does anyone have any better suggestions? I've read you can sync timecode between some cameras, but I assume they have to be the same brand/model.

Is there any way to sync timecode between non-matching cameras? Or any other methods that might help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Roger Van Duyn October 15th, 2013 06:20 AM

Re: Multi-cam IVs and timecode

Many of the NLE programs have a multicam mode. I know that Avid, Premiere, and Edius all do, and the cameras can be synched within the program in several ways. For instance, in Avid, I can choose to synch by timecode, mark in, or mark out. Selecting a mark in can be by a unique visual event, for instance, a camera flash. Or a unique audio event, for example a certain spike in the wave forms from a loud sudden noise.

One thing I often do at the start of a shoot is to set up my two cameras, point them at the same location, get them rolling, and then walk in front of them, give a countdown and clap my two hands together. Cheaper than buying a clapper. So I have both the visual hand clap and the spike in the waveforms to mark as a mark in to synch with when I begin to edit.

When I'm editing footage without the handclap, then I search for a unique event to set as the same mark in or out for the cameras. Using the dedicated multicam mode of the NLE is WAY BETTER than constantly trying to line up multiple tracks on your timeline. It may have a bit of a learning curve, but it's worth mastering.

Jody Arnott October 16th, 2013 11:40 PM

Thanks for the info! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I have used Avid's multi-cam tools before, but it was with footage with matching timecode. I didn't realise I could set a mark in to sync footage.

I've got another interview tomorrow, so will definitely be giving that method a try.

Thanks again!

David W. Jones October 18th, 2013 02:54 PM

Neither of the cameras you own have timecode input/output for sync.