DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   SPC - Single Person Crew (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/spc-single-person-crew/)
-   -   anyone ever interview young teens? if so, what did you learn? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/spc-single-person-crew/521911-anyone-ever-interview-young-teens-if-so-what-did-you-learn.html)

Rob Katz February 27th, 2014 08:50 PM

anyone ever interview young teens? if so, what did you learn?

anyone ever interview young teens? if so, what did you learn?

i'm interviewing a half dozen young teens (13-17) about a volunteer experience each did for a cancer organization.

i have done plenty of interviews.

not so many with this age group.

if you have interviewed this age group, what did you learn?

thanks in advance to those who acre to share.

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions/nyc

Jamie Roberts March 2nd, 2014 06:27 AM

Re: anyone ever interview young teens? if so, what did you learn?

Like any age group it depends on how articulate the subject is. I do lots of education related productions and am not shy about asking for the school or grades most articulate and interesting kids!
Often they are more self conscious so keeping it light, fun.
They may need help framing their answers in a way you can use.
Be prepared to get lots of B roll if they struggle and give short responses!

Les Wilson March 3rd, 2014 08:03 AM

Give them the questions ahead of time but warn them it doesn't work if everyone says the same thing. Provide sample answers (humor works well here).

Treat them as adults. Ask if there were funny incidents to loosen them up even if you don't want that content. Learn their vocabulary and use it in the questions.

Be prepared to do a blooper reel. Should be a scream.

Kevin McRoberts March 3rd, 2014 09:11 AM

I learned that too many of them start and end every statement with "so." As in, "So, this sentence should end succinctly, but it doesn't, so..." "So" is apparently what "like" used to be. It can make editing a chore as there's always the intonation of some extra unsaid statement hanging out there.

Warren Kawamoto March 3rd, 2014 11:14 AM

Rather than you conducting the interview, try getting one of the 13 year olds to ask the questions for you. You'll find that the responders will be much more at ease, and you'll get better material to work with!

Paul R Johnson March 4th, 2014 10:51 AM

They'll almost certainly NOT say what you expect. I work a fair bit with this age group and you can get clear concise and amazingly detailed info one moment then it degenerates into chaos. Never ask closed questions, and be aware some will play up to the camera and others will shut down.