DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   SPC - Single Person Crew (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/spc-single-person-crew/)
-   -   My First Real Shoot (Video Done.....maybe) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/spc-single-person-crew/522279-my-first-real-shoot-video-done-maybe.html)

Brock Burwell March 17th, 2014 09:51 PM

My First Real Shoot (Video Done.....maybe)

I just finished editing the video I discussed in the first thread titled this. It was for an auction house about 100 miles from where I live. I went up and filmed last at the beginning of March and have been editing here and there since. Again, this is my 3rd video. Most of the advice I've gotten has been from this forum so if I've improved, it's been because of you guys. Anyway, tell me what you think. I'm sure there is lots of advice to help improve it. Thanks!

John DuMontelle March 18th, 2014 07:15 AM

Re: My First Real Shoot (Video Done.....maybe)

Good audio.

This guy was an awesome interview.

I liked how you mixed the nat sound breaks with the interview.

One pet peeve. 1:21 into the piece you put two shots back to back. Looks like a jump cut.

They are too similar. If one was wide and one was tight? Fine.

Or if one was tight then the next wide? Fine.

But these two shots were almost identical and it was jarring to watch. Distracting.

You had good two-shot sequences later which is why seeing these two shots together, earlier in the piece, leaves me scratching my head as to why you felt you had to even do that? What was it I would have missed by seeing those two shots?

The closing soundbite...after the "credits"...What he said was good and worth using. Probably more of a style difference between you and I rather than me saying what you did was wrong, however...I might have tried to work that in somewhere before the closing graphic.

Next time? Maybe have more than one "voice" in the story. An interview with one or two others who are there also enjoying themselves and buying. it would give a better, more well rounded, full, view of the fun.

Yes, I might have some additional nit-picky thoughts but you did well. It's MUCH better than previous work I've seen from you. Again...good job with the sound.

Brock Burwell March 18th, 2014 04:18 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice.

My uncle, who was the one interviewed, watched it today and was really pleased. His only suggestion was one you said. He preferred to have that last clip after the "credits' somewhere in the video. That was his favorite sound bite and he wanted to make sure people didn't turn the video off before they saw that. So good call on that.

I went ahead and made adjustments, including the two shots that look like a jump cut. Thanks!

Jon Fairhurst March 20th, 2014 12:40 PM

One trick is to start the credits and immediately move them out of the way while bringing up a smaller window with the final zinger. The viewer might start to reach for the mouse, but they see the Easter egg before they click to their next task. That preserves your original structure - to show the straightforward documentary and to end with a funny outtake. IMO, the structure is correct - the main film is about the auction house; the outtake is about your uncle and his personal sense of humor. Editing the zinger into the main film would weaken both messages. Keeping them separate is more like adding an emoticon to the end of a paragraph. :)

John DuMontelle March 20th, 2014 04:50 PM

I like Jon's idea! ;)

Brock Burwell March 21st, 2014 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1837665)
One trick is to start the credits and immediately move them out of the way while bringing up a smaller window with the final zinger. The viewer might start to reach for the mouse, but they see the Easter egg before they click to their next task. That preserves your original structure - to show the straightforward documentary and to end with a funny outtake. IMO, the structure is correct - the main film is about the auction house; the outtake is about your uncle and his personal sense of humor. Editing the zinger into the main film would weaken both messages. Keeping them separate is more like adding an emoticon to the end of a paragraph. :)

Great advice! I definitely need to do that

Al Gardner March 28th, 2014 05:22 PM

Dam good job Brock.