B-grip + varavon loupe modification at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

SPC - Single Person Crew
Who said "One is the Loneliest Number?" You'll never walk alone here.

Old June 30th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #1
Inner Circle

B-grip + varavon loupe modification

As some of you might know I have a very cheap mini shoulder rig that is very modular: I started up a thread about it here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/spc-sing...ml#post1836338 meaning I can attach a dslr or handicam to it, a tascam dr60, a swit battery and videolight and a azden wireless receiver and not exceed 2kg in wheight. All parts can be mounted separately so depending what I want to shoot I can add parts as needed.

I also had a small loupe attached to the flipout screen of my cx730, that loupe would flip open so I could use the touchscreen, I only had to use my minishoulder rig which allowed that loupe to rest on a part of that rig, the cx730 flipout screen is a bit fragile and the hinges can't hold the weight of the loupe so without the rig I have to hold the loupe in position as it otherwise would tilt down and that is not comfortable to work with, with the rig it stays in a horizontal position only.

Now it happened I forgot that loupe at the brides house last wedding, a funny coincedence was that I joined a discussion about loosing stuff at a wedding here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...ekend-fml.html and right after that it happens to me. :D

Anyways, the family says they can't find it back and to use my cx730 handheld I really need a loupe as I can't look at the flipout screen from very close without one.

Then I see my varavon loupe which I got for my gh3, I only use that loupe if I"m doing handheld interviews with the gh3, otherwise it just stays at home when I"m shooting weddings, so then I get visions of attaching this loupe to my cx730.

After some modifications you can below see the result, I also got a dirt cheap belt with a holder for my camera from "B-grip" (around 50 euro) so I can attach my camera to it when I"m moving between locations when I shoot the legal part at the townhall and ceremony in the church (those 2 are always right after eachother) and I always use my handicams to cover these, one on a tripod and one I use handheld. Those 2 events are a very "run and gun" type of thing, usually I have very little time to set up at church so I need tp move quick and carry as little as possible gear with me. That B-grip is very comfortable to wear, I have used it the last 2 weddings to attach my gh4 or RX10 to and had it on my side all evening.

With below modfication I made I plan to leave my minishoulder support at home next time and just use the handicam and loupe only to shoot handheld, the cx730 OIS is that good it allows me to shoot that way and have steady footage in a way I can never achieve with any other camera i have. in that way I can take one handicam attached to a light and small tripod and my backpack with all the rest of the gear in both locations in one go and have that belt attached handicam ready whenever needed, like a cowboy ready to draw his gun :)

This eliminates yet another accessoire which will not have an effect on the quality but will make it easier for me to work under a high time pressure, less gear to take with me, less stress.

Check out my new weapon of choice
password: noa
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew