Subway Kit and the Tripod Quandary - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew

SPC - Single Person Crew
Who said "One is the Loneliest Number?" You'll never walk alone here.

Old August 21st, 2014, 08:23 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: Subway Kit and the Tripod Quandary

For what it's worth Craig, for the past few months my primary tripod with the BMPCC has been a set of old Manfrotto 190XPROB aluminium stills legs I had laying around, and a new 500AH head I bought.

The 500 head seems to be pretty good with the low weight of the BMPCC on it, and the legs are find as long as they're weighted down properly. As you can imagine the whole thing doesn't weigh much and some pans can move it around if you're not careful - just takes a camera bag hooked on it or an extra hand on the tripod.

From memory the legs are 1.8kg and the head is 0.6kg, so 2.4kg total. I'm currently looking for some lighter legs for travel though, I fly a lot and want something that will pack down slightly smaller and weighs less.

Still searching for the perfect one, but the Gitzo GT1542T looks closest so far, just so pricey!
Ryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 08:18 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Thanks Ryan

Those Gitzo GT1542T legs are 1kg (2.2 lbs).
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/759477-REG/Gitzo_GT1542T_Series_1_Traveler_6x.html

This Manfrotto 500 head with the 190 legs roughly 5.6 lbs. These are carbon fiber legs though. So perhaps a different model.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1022506-REG/manfrotto_mvh500ah_flat_base_fluid.html

I believe from what B&H said, the Benros are good quality Manfrotto knockoffs
This Benro SF4 and carbon fiber legs are interesting. Total weight 4.8 lbs (2.2 kg)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/896851-REG/Benro_c2573fs4_C2573F_SERS_2_CF.htmlLegs don't seem to be sold separately though.

If your 190 legs are aluminum perhaps just get the CF version at 1.3 kg (3 lbs). Gitzo legs are a bit lighter though.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/548526-REG/Manfrotto_190CXPRO4_190CXPRO4_4_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 09:06 AM   #33
Regular Crew

The thing I don't like about those Benro's Craig is the folded length.

I'm thinking you might be right about the 190CXPRO4, although that kit you linked with the MT190CXPRO4, the new version is heavier but holds more weight. Trade offs!

I'm even toying with the idea of getting a couple of those cheap Horusbennu carbon tripods off ebay... for $100 each I could get a very cheap Chinese alternative to the Gitzo, and replace them after a year or two.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 10:43 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Carbon Fiber would have to be lighter. You mention legs as 1.8kg and the Manfrotto system I point to has legs that are 1.6kg. Gitzo legs are certainly lighter still at 1kg. The Manfrotto 500 head with Gitzo legs would certainly have a small folded size. They're only 149cm high max without head though. Benro nearly 173cm (with head) and column fully extended (which might be unstable though).

I'm concerned about short tripod with tall subject. For me, if it fits into a tripod bag any smaller doesn't buy me too much. Lighter is important if I have to carry it some distance though.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 12:15 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Someone elsewhere mentioned they bought one of these to try
Sirui 005X. Folds to 12 inches/30cm, extends to 54.5 inches/149cm with column extended. 2.2lbs/1kg
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917556-REG/sirui_bsrt005xr_t_005x_aluminum_tripod_red.html
but then I'd look at Sirui 025x which is carbon fiber. Same as above but 1.7lbs/0.8kg
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917559-REG/sirui_bsrt025x_t_025x_carbon_fiber_tripod.html
Old August 22nd, 2014, 12:18 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Video review of someone using it with BMPCC. Note creative use as a shoulder stabilized "rig"
Old August 24th, 2014, 04:12 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Craig, when I said heavier, the weights from memory are:
190CXPRO4 - 1.3kg (old version)
MT190CXPRO4 - 1.6kg (new version)
190XPROB - 1.8kg (aluminimum version)

Not sure the expense is worth saving 200g just to get a slightly more compact tripod...

The Sirui looks good, I'm also looking at:
Horusbennu C2240X - Horusbennu C2240X Carbon Fiber Camera Premium Tripod W Case | eBay
Induro CT114 - Induro Carbon 8X CT114 Tripod 693174735004 | eBay

The new BeFree Carbon also looks a lot better than the aluminium version (which feels too flimsy to me).

The Horusbennu seems like it's worth the risk at this point, when you can buy them for ~$100 each, could be perfect for what I want it for.
Old August 30th, 2014, 09:04 AM   #38
Major Player

I watched the above video some months ago and bought the carbon fibre version. I agree that it does make for a good "shoulder mount" but was disappointed with its overall stability and returned it.

Ryan, if I'm not mistaken, it was you who first made me aware of the Gitzo legs ( in some post or another in the tripods section). If you haven't already, take a look at a previous post of mine in this thread. Expensive yes, but worth it.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 06:05 AM   #39
Regular Crew

I suspect you're probably right Jake, but my quandary now is my new slider really needs 2+ tripods, and I'm not sure I can afford the financial outlay of two Gitzos.

Maybe the solution in my case is the Gitzo, plus two of the cheap carbon tripods? We shall see.
Old August 31st, 2014, 05:11 PM   #40
Major Player

When I use a longer slider, I'll often use a tripod on one end and a monopod on the other (Manfrotto). It stays steady enough.
Old August 31st, 2014, 11:21 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts View Post
When I use a longer slider, I'll often use a tripod on one end and a monopod on the other (Manfrotto). It stays steady enough.
Thats a really clever idea, thanks for the tip Kevin! Have to give it a try!
Old September 1st, 2014, 11:50 AM   #42
Inner Circle

You can use an inexpensive light stand rather than a second tripod.

BTW this is why I'm interested in the Edelkrone sliders.. They're designed to be used on a single tripod. Granted you don't get the "full throw" if you use them on the ground. Edelkrone sliders look like a great idea for the SPC Subway Kit though. They can fit in a backpack due to the small initial size
Their Plus Pro version can handle a bit more than their Plus V2
Pro
SliderPLUS PRO - edelkroneŽ USA
Plus
edelkrone SliderPLUS
These aren't very long sliders though. 2.6'/ 800mm and 2.9' / 900mm respectively for the longest size.

But both are designed for stable single tripod use. They mention the spread needed for support in their specs.

As to tripods, I'm concerned about video head, leg support combinations.
Gitzo GT1542T seems to be listed as a "photo" tripod legs whereas
Gitzo GT2531LV are listed as video tripod legs at 3.5 lbs / 1.6 kg
Granted it could be arbitrary catagorization.
Old September 1st, 2014, 03:40 PM   #43
Inner Circle

It looks like Benro just released a travel specific tripod kit
Aero S Series Video Travel Angel Tripod Kits, Single Legs - Benro
Starts at 4.1 lbs / 1.9kg and folds to just over 18" / 46cm
The larger model looks a bit more viable for me though.
5.8 lbs / 2.6 kg and folds to just over 21" / 55cm
Seems new because the product video is dated Sept. 1.
Benro Learning Center: Articles and Videos
Interesting that the marketing video shows both Blackmagic Pocket and 4K models.

I keep wishing for better pan drag control but that just doesn't seem possible in the "travel" weight class.

Last edited by Craig Seeman; September 2nd, 2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 05:15 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
You can use an inexpensive light stand rather than a second tripod.
Yeah but they're not the most portable solution...

Quote:
As to tripods, I'm concerned about video head, leg support combinations.
Gitzo GT1542T seems to be listed as a "photo" tripod legs whereas
Gitzo GT2531LV are listed as video tripod legs at 3.5 lbs / 1.6 kg
Granted it could be arbitrary catagorization.
Seems like the difference is the weight the tripod can hold, I think the Gitzo LV models have built in levellers too?

Quote:
It looks like Benro just released a travel specific tripod kit
Aero S Series Video Travel Angel Tripod Kits, Single Legs - Benro
Starts at 4.1 lbs / 1.9kb and folds to just over 18' / 46cm
The larger model looks a bit more viable for me though.
5.8 lbs / 2.6 kg and folds to just over 21' / 55cm
Seems new because the product video is dated Sept. 1.
Benro Learning Center: Articles and Videos
Interesting that the marketing video shows both Blackmagic Pocket and 4K models.

I keep wishing for better pan drag control but that just doesn't seem possible in the "travel" weight class.
Now this is interesting.

The Gitzo GT1542T, including head and leveller, it ends up as a 2.14kg tripod setup, the Benro is 2.6kg. Not too much in it, although a carbon version would be better clearly.

Be interesting to see what the rigidity of the aluminium would be. Some of the aluminium travel tripods I looked at were very wobbly, yet carbon seems to be able to be made more rigid for the same size.

If they're rigid enough, when they're available properly would be a good option. At the moment I can only order from Adorama and they want US$80 to deliver to Australia!
Old September 5th, 2014, 10:41 AM   #45
Inner Circle

BTW I found this review of the Benro tripods by Adam Wilt who is always very meticulous in his reviews.
Review: Benro Video Tripod Kits by Adam Wilt

Key notes are that these are good for their inexpensive price, that he likes the S6 head but the S4 and S2 less so. He seems to like the legs.

It'll be interesting to see the reviews of the new Aero 4 (which has the S4 head).

Ultimately unless there's a light head with good pan drag control, there's going to be limitations in a travel tripod.

Regarding "reasonable" pan drag controls it would seem that would be the Benro S8 or Manfrotto 502 and you're getting on the heavy side at that point.

Of course the Manfrotto 500 head is a good head sans pan drag and probably is competitive with the Benro S6. I have looked at both in person.

This seems to be the current lightest Manfrotto 500 heads, legs combination

Manfrotto MVH500AH Flat Base Fluid Head/MT190CXPRO3 Tripod Legs/Padded Case Kit. - 5.6 lbs/ 2.5 kg
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1022507-REG/manfrotto_mvh500ah_flat_base_fluid.html
and similar weight. Difference seems to be leg stages.
Manfrotto MVH500AH Flat Base Fluid Head, MT190CXPRO4 Tripod Legs,Padded Case Kit
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1022497-REG/manfrotto_mvh500ah_flat_base_fluid.html
BTW Ryan, it seems to me that I can find light stands that weigh less the tripods and fold down enough. The latter is key though because, yes, some tripods fold smaller but for me weight is the bigger issue. In any case this is why I'm looking at Edelkrone sliders which can be stable on a single tripod.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew