Subway Kit and the Tripod Quandary - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

SPC - Single Person Crew
Who said "One is the Loneliest Number?" You'll never walk alone here.

Old November 13th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #61
Inner Circle

Re: Subway Kit and the Tripod Quandary

Generally I will not do more then an interview on my own without a car. The camera goes into the backpack, tripods and lightstands into one bag and the lights in another. That can easily go in a cab or car service, a bit tough on a train or about half a mile walking. For theatrical or outdoor filming, I skip the lights and have even used my bicycle to get to jobs.

Any job that's complicated I will hire somebody to help.
Old November 14th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #62
Inner Circle

Cabs and car service can be a life saver... assuming they can get you there on time. They can drop you off in front of the location so you don't have to lug to fare.

The problem with cars and single person crew is that you have to hunt for parking or use a lot (carpark) and not only does looking for parking take time but either street or lot parking can result in a bit of walk to the location. Once I need a car I usually need an assistant, even if their primary purpose is to simply drop me off at location while they then hunt for parking.

Camera and bike, that would probably make something like the Benro Aero 4 a good tripod option.

Curious what lights you're using William.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 10:29 AM   #63
Inner Circle

I have two small kits that I chose between depending on the job presented.

The first is a Lowel ViP three light halogen kit (two spots, one flood) that I supplemented with hardware store bought voltage dimmers. It's compact and great for interviews. Plus the case is soft but sturdy. I have had this kit for a decade.

I recently purchased an Ikan IFB576 LED kit with two variable color temperature lights and V-mount battery plates. It provides a good soft light with low heat and set-up fuss. Unfortunately it's bulkier and the stands are in a separate bag. Depending on the job I can pack the camera tripod with the stands so I am back to three bags. If I need my large Manfrotto tripod I have to struggle with two tripods bags.
Old November 15th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #64
Inner Circle

I have a tungsten kit (Lowel Pro, Omni, Tota) but I'm moving to LED. I was thinking of adding iKan ID508v2 which is a little lighter than the IFB576
ID508-v2: ID508-v2 LED Studio Light w/Light Stand Mount | ikan
I'd really like to find even lighter but what I've seen I haven't liked.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew