Quest for the lightest light kit - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

SPC - Single Person Crew
Who said "One is the Loneliest Number?" You'll never walk alone here.

Old April 20th, 2015, 07:11 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Quest for the lightest light kit

And now for the soft mushy panels. Talk about light lights.

Aladdin Flex Lite
150 grams. Either AC or Battery powered. Dimming. Optional Soft Box. 140° angle so it seems more necessary than optional I'd think. CRI supposedly around 97
Flex Lite - Aladdin Lights

BiFlex version is $899
Bi-Flex, Flex Lite, A-Lite, Eye Lite, NAB, Cine Gear

Westcott also making a Flex Lite now.
7oz (about 200 grams). Dimming. No battery power yet though. 140° angle. CRI about 95.
Westcott Flex - LED

B&H $599
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1098579-REG/westcott_7419_flex_1_light_daylight_kit.html
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 10:42 AM   #17
Trustee

If you have the time and a soldering iron, you can design your own panel that fits your needs...it can even be flexible if you want.

Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #18
Trustee

I just thought that I'd share and experience with one of the lights mentioned earlier.
I had a simple black limbo interview to shoot in a small boardroom today so I brought along a pair of new Fotodiox LED Flapjack 300R lights to try out and was very impressed with the outcome.

Nice soft light with plenty of output for a closely lit interview.

Since these lights don't have much throw then they also helped with light spill onto the back backdrop, which was only 2 feet behind the interviewee.

I am attaching a picture that is untouched to show the outcome of the shoot. The only issue I had was that I brought the wrong hair light which was too hot even turned down all the way.

https://www.fotodioxpro.com/fotodiox...nch-round.html
Attached Thumbnails
Quest for the lightest light kit-wwii-interview.jpg  
Old June 20th, 2015, 10:30 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Michael, what was your hair light? What would you have preferred?

You bring up an important issue with such light kits and shooting in tight locations. When traveling as a single person crew you might not be able to bring light modifiers to control spill. Sometimes too much throw would be something you have to fight against if it's going to bounce off walls.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #20
Trustee

Craig I meant to bring my Z96 led light, but forgot it and had to use my 312 LED light which is much brighter, even when dimmed down to the minimum 10%. If I had headroom I could have boomed the light higher, but I was already at the ceiling.

Personally speaking after using the Flapjack 300R I can easily see using these for all of my road interviews.

Main strong points are:

• Light is diffused and produces soft lightbox quality light
• I can set the lights close to my subject without being hard on the eyes
• Create nice catchlight in the eyes
• Super compact so great for travel
• Not being overpowering they're they produce little spill
• color temperature is balanced well for daylight, with no green spike.

Now if I had to light a backdrop then I would need more powerful lights for backdrop and use the Flapjack 300R for subject.

The downside is that even though they produce great soft light you very well might need a fresnel of some kind, especially for using with a cookie for the background. But you should have several lights in your kit for different uses. For interviews I can see using Flapjacks for the subject, 1 fresnel for a hard light source, and maybe 2 LED lights for backdrop lighting. If I was using a location for the background I would use available light, 2 Flapjack 300Rs, fresnel for hard source maybe for hair light, and maybe another small led for accent light in background.
Old July 9th, 2015, 11:34 AM   #21
Trustee

Wescott flex light. Super lightweight, decent lumens and quality light. Saw them at NAB = NICE!
There is a group buy over at reduser.net = $399(?). Wescott is supposed to be coming out with larger versions.

Westcott Flex Daylight LED 7400 B&H Photo Video
Old December 5th, 2015, 09:49 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Noting that if you use the link in my first post, the Westcott Flex Light 10"x10" complete with Westcott light stand is at $449 as an extended BlackFriday special. Jacques' link shows as $599, the normal price sans stand.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew