Lightest Light Stands 2.5 lbs or less - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew

SPC - Single Person Crew
Who said "One is the Loneliest Number?" You'll never walk alone here.

Old April 14th, 2017, 10:58 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Lightest Light Stands 2.5 lbs or less

I just bought two of the Manfrotto 5001B stands for a shoot in South America. Meh, I like my Matthews Reverse Fold Travel stands better, they hold a LOT more weight safely and are taller. The Manfrottos are lighter but less capable so it's good to have both for me. If I am packing and trying to save every ounce, the 5001Bs are handy but for general use, the Matthews are superior IMHO. They are better constructed than the Manfrottos.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 11:42 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Doesn't the sandbags you have to carry around to keep your lightweight stands upright with even smaller lights enter into this discussion. I've not yet seen a lightweight support that is stable on anything remotes useful on top!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 07:57 AM   #18
Inner Circle

If I'm shooting in offices, short of someone tripping over them, Stability wouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't use lightweight stands for exterior shoots even on a breezy day. BTW there are "water filled" type bags which can be filled and emptied on site (assuming access to water).

Just my humble opinion but once you're using a vehicle to transport your gear, weight is much less a factor. Weight's important when you have to hand carry (as I often do) or you need to transportation where weight and size restrictions are big factors.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 07:43 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
If I'm shooting in offices, short of someone tripping over them, Stability wouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't use lightweight stands for exterior shoots even on a breezy day. BTW there are "water filled" type bags which can be filled and emptied on site (assuming access to water).

Just my humble opinion but once you're using a vehicle to transport your gear, weight is much less a factor. Weight's important when you have to hand carry (as I often do) or you need to transportation where weight and size restrictions are big factors.
Agreed. My only concern with weight is when I fly, which is quite often. If I am bringing all of my grip gear in my truck or car, I much prefer larger Arri kit stands or Matthews Beefy Baby, real light stands. As far as sandbags, I find with the mere 6' or 7' extension of these little stands with relatively light weight LED panels on top, I rarely sand bag the stands anyway. I put a sand bag on the hair/rim light that is usually at the end of a 40" C-stand arm for interviews and when I use C-stands for backgrounds, green screen. But for travel, I never bring sandbags as they usually just aren't crucial or needed.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew