Stage Event Video - DVD production at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

SPC - Single Person Crew
Who said "One is the Loneliest Number?" You'll never walk alone here.

Old January 16th, 2016, 12:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Stage Event Video - DVD production

I haven't had any luck posting in the "wedding/event video" forum so I thought I'd try here. A couple of my stage event video jobs each year require DVD production at the venue. So, a quick work flow is important but not at the expense of quality. I'm buying all new gear for 2016 and I can't figure out the last piece of the puzzle.

I'm looking for a fairly portable recorder that has the capability of recording standard definition when needed. I'll be coming out of a Panasonic HS50 switcher with SD/SDI.

I found the Ninja 2 for $295 US but I'd need a SDI to HDMI converter. Would this work?

Blackmagic Design Video Assist HDMI/6G-SDI looks even better in that it can record to inexpensive SDHC cards. BlackMagic lists 525/59.94i NTSC as one of the recording formats but a salesman told me he thinks BM listed that spec in error. He contends BM Video Assist will not record in standard definition.

Does anyone know if the BM video assist really can record in a standard definition format?

Does anyone have a better idea for a recorder: SDI in - Standard Def recording capability - not too crazy expensive.
Geoffrey Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 08:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Stage Event Video - DVD production

You might have better luck at the bmcuser.com forum.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 11:54 AM   #3
Major Player

a standalone dvd recorder taking in a/v composite or component or firewire will burn live during the production and only needs finalizing at the end then can be duplicated on the spot
I have a stack of such recorders in a storage box somewhere
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 02:38 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I use Sony DVDirect recorder. It's discounted but you can still buy leftover inventory. SDI to RCA adapter.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:33 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Re the SDI ->HDMI question, I've been taking the component out of a JVC HD110 into a Blackmagic Component->SDI Mini-converter then to a Blackmagic SDI->HDMI Mini-converter and then into a Ninja2.

So an SDI -> HDMI converter will do what you want.

I've been using 2 1/2" HDD's in the Ninja as well as SSD's. I like the new Ninja but for the 2-hour concerts I do CFast is still too pricey.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 06:04 AM   #6
Trustee

I have a BMD Intensity Shuttle. I bought it for all the reasons BMD advertised about converting HD video from camera HDMI to analog and PC via thunderbolt. It is the biggest waste of $200.00 I have spent in years. It is a useless paper weight. It is so far from functional I will never buy another BMD product. Furthermore the software their website advertised as so amazing does not deliver as promised either. In fact, the plug-ins for my Adobe CC caused audio issues elsware in the program and never found the BMD signal. So far from as advertised it is a joke, absolute POS. And I rarely make posts like this, I am not an equipment bashing troll, I have been here for many years.

BMD....never again for me......

Steve
Old January 25th, 2016, 04:00 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The last couple of years I've had an extra job stuck on me on the quite big budget shows I run. I get a email that gives me a specific show number to be recorded, and then there is a very short time allowed for production of a DVD that has to be posted for copyright calculations. I have a macbook with DVD drive, and I now record these problem shows direct via firewire to the macbook in premiere. At the end of the show, the file is exported, burned in my old CS5 Encore as a basic DVD without menus. If I record the 2 hour afternoon show, the DVD is done by the end of the second show. It cuts out the ingesting process and seems quite efficient. Probably not what you want though.

The other option is to buy a cheap standalone TV recorder that records direct to DVD - less than £100 and only about ten minutes after pressing stop.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 12:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Chandler View Post
I haven't had any luck posting in the "wedding/event video" forum so I thought I'd try here. A couple of my stage event video jobs each year require DVD production at the venue. So, a quick work flow is important but not at the expense of quality. I'm buying all new gear for 2016 and I can't figure out the last piece of the puzzle.

I'm looking for a fairly portable recorder that has the capability of recording standard definition when needed. I'll be coming out of a Panasonic HS50 switcher with SD/SDI.

I found the Ninja 2 for $295 US but I'd need a SDI to HDMI converter. Would this work?

Blackmagic Design Video Assist HDMI/6G-SDI looks even better in that it can record to inexpensive SDHC cards. BlackMagic lists 525/59.94i NTSC as one of the recording formats but a salesman told me he thinks BM listed that spec in error. He contends BM Video Assist will not record in standard definition.

Does anyone know if the BM video assist really can record in a standard definition format?

Does anyone have a better idea for a recorder: SDI in - Standard Def recording capability - not too crazy expensive.
Maybe the nanoflash will serve you well... if you can find it
https://www.convergent-design.com/pr...nanoflash.html
Old February 11th, 2016, 09:53 PM   #9
Major Player

Don't mean to derail the post but had to concur with Steven Digges - my BMD intensity shuttle is a total POS.
Old March 26th, 2016, 01:10 AM   #10
Major Player

I personally use a Toshiba DVD recorder for such events. They record while rolling and you finalize the disc at the end (it just takes a few minutes).
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew