optex cool car mount at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 31st, 2003, 11:51 AM   #1
Major Player

optex cool car mount

the 'je ne sais quoi' of coolness

https://secure.xl1s.com/images/windscreenmountlarge.jpg

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:18 PM   #2
Wrangler

That is pretty cool. But every time I've tried shooting video through my windshield I've been very disappointed with the quality. The technique I prefer is setting up the tripod inside the car with the camera protruding through the sun roof. Have only done this at low speeds however... ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 06:00 PM   #3
Trustee

That mount is a Manfrotto 241 pump-cup with a 155 lift top head and I think a 133 extension arm.

I was looking through my Manfrotto cat just before reading the post and I thought it looked familiar.

There's not much you can't do with Manfrotto accessories.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Secret

Ok Ok l am going to let you in on a secret which l have been keeping to my self...and although l am in Australia l imagine that most of England would know this secret also...ok well maybe serious DV players...lol

The web site is www.b-hague.co.uk

l bought the double suction mount and l tell you..with my PD-150 it is awesome..hell l might even shoot the next freeway scene in Matrix Four...ok maybe not but have a look at the sight and go shopping...Regards MIchael
Michael De Florio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2003, 06:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Michael - do you know what kind of suction cups they use?

Filmtools has a similar rig,

http://store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplie...edweigca1.html

And a more robust kit with a ball leveler (at twice the price...)

http://store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/filmedweigca.html

If they use a similar suction cup I may be interested, The Hague is a lot cheaper.
Old June 8th, 2003, 07:17 PM   #6
Trustee

The parts are all manfrotto on the Hague site. Have a look at www.manfrotto.com The parts shown are just an assortment of manfrotto grip items.

The parts may be in stock at any number of manfroto dealers and if not they could easily be ordered locally. I recall seeing the cup at a toronto supplier.

I found the 241 pump cup at B&H it's a bogen 3294 and it's $57. The camera mounts and grip arms are under grip and mounting equipment. this covers all of the Hague setups. There a another section at B&H on mathews car mounts, kinda pricey though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph/...ID=F5E213BA2D0
Old June 8th, 2003, 07:37 PM   #7
Air China Pilot

Not bad! I didn't think those car mounts were within my purchase range.

Filmtools Medium Weight Camera Suction Cup Mount Starter Kit for Cars- New! 4402MSRP: $692.47June Sale Price
Old June 9th, 2003, 10:51 AM   #8
New Boot

Has anyone actually used any of these units? I am curious as anytime I have used a suction cup for mounting equipment in vehicles there has always been a certain amount of flex. Filming video in a moving vehicle, I would think that this "flex" in the suction cup would likely translate to vibrations that would show up in the footage.

Is it really that solid of a mount? I am looking for a good mount to film some race track work. I have one that clamps to my rollbar, but a suction mount would allow me to capture different angles (if it indeed works properly).

Opinions?

Cheers;
Eric
Eric Gutknecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 11:57 AM   #9
Trustee

I've never used one as a camera mount but if you'll notice the better ones have more than one suction cup. I've used the cups for glass and they hold a fair load.
Old June 10th, 2003, 09:27 AM   #10
Regular Crew

How are you again...i use the double suction mounts SM4 and and as far as are they good.....YES they are awesome ..l of course use a combination of some lock tight straps which can be bought at any hardware store and are used for strapping up luggage and the likes.

Also, l have a couple or one at least car mount rachet type..( hell, l dont know what to call them..lol ) over the top as added procution.

l mean to convince my accountent..oops wife... that PD-150 will be good for the business and have to tell her that camera looks good in two thousand peices....um..l make sure that its secure and at the end...great pics all the way...

regards MIchael
Michael De Florio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2003, 07:19 AM   #11
Regular Crew

By the way, in regards to the Manfrotto suction cups...thats where it ends and HAgue begins as the swivel rods and mounts are all made by Hague themselves as does most of there products.....regards Michael
Michael De Florio is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications