The Sphere Arm at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 20th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #1
Inner Circle

The Sphere Arm

Check this rig out, ideal for small product adv with a small camera. In fact I've not seen this before, it is brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VetEtxeKVDQ

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #2
Trustee

I hope that dude patented that before he showed the world.
That's brilliant.
Some company will make that, in a little fold up package, and maybe a large version for filming people instead of the macro stuff.

Paul.
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #3
Trustee

You could mount heavier cameras and get them balanced by making "S" brackets with weight on the opposite end to counter balance the rig, making the rig smoother and able to pivot a bigger HD camera around too if needed.
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Macro 360 degree device

Yes, it is brilliant, and like so many things it's because it's so simple yet superbly effective.

I'm a career scientist (when I'm not pointing a camera at something) with my name on a few patents around the world - I'm no patent lawer but for sure I have often worked with them and can tell you that, if he did not patent it before going public with this video (19th July 2008) then he's no chance now. Shame for him.

I could definitely see one of the big boys in tripods etc. going for this. Mind you, as shown it's so simple to make anyway. A nice weekend project for someone who has more time than me right now!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; July 20th, 2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: corrected video posting date
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

That's Edwin Bont, who has just joined us as a new member here at DV Info Net. So hopefully he'll find this discussion here and y'all can interact directly. Thread title changed from "This is brilliant" to "The Sphere Arm" (yes it's still brilliant, but it's also completely ambiguous -- please, please, please use specific terms for thread titles to aid future searches here).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #6
Tourist

The Sphere Arm, a camera arm for filming small things, like insects

I just started to film insects and i dont like the way tripods work.
On a tripod your camera discribes a circle and "looks" from the inside out.
What i want is that the camera is rotating around the subject.
So i invented this arm.
I have never seen it before so i had to make it myself.
This is a picture of the prototype made out of good old Lego
http://www.edwinbont.nl/forums/Tijdelijk/arm.jpg

Today i made an arm out of metal and wood.
And i made a small movie to demonstrate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VetEtxeKVDQ
HD version: http://vimeo.com/1371515
It is working the way i wanted, so i am happy with the first tests.

The arm is far from finished, ideas are welcome!
Edwin Bont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #7
Trustee

Here's an idea !!!

Remove it from youtube as quick as possible then get it patented, i don't know how to do get something patented but it sounds like Andy Wilkinson might know.

Paul.

Last edited by Paul Kellett; July 20th, 2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: .
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

It does strike me that the youtube videos that are dated when they are added is actually a pretty good support for the patent application - very difficult for someone to prove they invented it when the evidence shows different. It would seem such a good idea that patenting is a really good idea.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald View Post
You could mount heavier cameras and get them balanced by making "S" brackets with weight on the opposite end to counter balance the rig, making the rig smoother and able to pivot a bigger HD camera around too if needed.
If you put something on the other side of the rig, it will be in the line of sight of the camera ;)

This is one of the most promising DIY on this forum!
Great work. Hope no-one steals your design to make money from it.
Keep those pictures coming
Vegard Paulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I've been thinking about this. It would seem that it's not a new design, but a modification of an existing one. It is really a post head, with the lens position extended backwards the same distance as the drop in the arm. The balancing advantages of the post arm are lost, of course, but the basic mechanics are the same. Attaching a machined extrusion (I used a spirit level!) to the base of my old post arm, setting the camera mounting plate back 400mm, produces good results, but aching arms!

SO I'm not sure how the patent things works now on a new use, but not totally new idea?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Paulsen View Post
If you put something on the other side of the rig, it will be in the line of sight of the camera ;)
Only if you make the weight and camera form a "U" shape, if you set it in an "S" shape, the counter weight will be out of the line of sight of the camera, but still do the job it needs to in balancing the rig.
Old August 5th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I think similar linkages are used to hold the X-ray cameras at your dentist so the camera can pivot around your head. Not exactly the same, but I've seen other uses of such linkages in the past
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications