great parabolic moves/Dutch Head at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 18th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #1
Major Player

great parabolic moves/Dutch Head

Hi all,
I recently used some stock shots a friend of mine shot in Brazil. He had a huge (and hugely expensive) "Dutch Head", and he got these wonderful tilt/tip/pans... 45-degree swinging to 45-degree kind of things. Perfect for what I needed.
Anyway, I googled "dutch" head, and came up with this:

Cartoni | APDH Digi-Dutch Head | APDH | B&H Photo Video

Does anyone know anything about it?
All the other dutch heads seem to be for heavier cameras, and they're much much more expensive. This one is around $500.
Cheers, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

all you have to do is get to tripod heads and you have a dutch head... very big back in the 80s... or just get a steadycam and tilt it...
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #3
Wrangler

Cartoni made the industry standard dutch heads back in the day, thus I would think this would be a good product. It is true enough that you can modify most heads to function as dutch heads, I did just this with my O'Connor 1030 to use on my 2575. It's not as easy as just plonking one on top of the other--the top head that you will use as for the roll axis needs to have an interface to mount from whatever base it has to the quick release of your lower head.

It's not all that common these days to need to dutch during a shot but $500 seems like a good deal! If you need the shot to be off-level but not adjustable, of course you can just tilt the ball or shorten one of the legs of the tripod.
Old December 19th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Charles,
Thanks for the info about this. I think I'll go ahead with this one.
Cheers,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications