XL1s and Moving Car Shots - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications

Old January 28th, 2004, 09:28 PM   #16
Tourist

Stickypod Safety and Strength

Wow! I'm impressed with the enormous amount of conversation and good word. I was getting so much traffic from this site I had to come see what all the talk was about. I invented the Sticky Pod and once you play a few videos and browse thru some pics, you will come to understand the enormous strength of this camera mount platform. Once attached, the StickyPod cannot be removed simply by pulling on it. You must release the suction cups by rolling up the edge with your finger. If you would like to see more customer videos and pics, please go to our discussion forum. You'll see the link in the upper right corner of every page.

A little background about it. I invented it to take high speed (driving) videos for my first invention. It turns out that nothing on the market could handle it. Either it was too big and bulky, far too expensive or simply not designed for the task. The Sticky Pod was my solution. It's turning out to be almost everybody else's solution as well. Even if you don't use it for high speed driving, just think of all the places you can use it when it's not on a car. No more 10 foot tripods or scratching your head about getting the entire room in a picture. Just mount it up on the window and you accomplish both.

As for the safety, I highly recommend the pics and video from Orcatek. Just go to the pics page. There you will get many ideas about how to tether your camera for some very wild driving. Tethers are included in the price of your Sticky Pod.

Many thanks for all the kind words. You will have no regrets about purchasing a Stickypod. If you have any questions, I'm here for you. Tom
Old January 29th, 2004, 08:53 AM   #17
Major Player

Moving……

Aaron.

A system that I have used with enormous success, whether front or rear mounting, is to purchase a bunch of shock cords. These, (for those not familiar with them), they are elastic cords that you see holding items down on bikes, etc.

I strongly recommend that you acquire some thick rubber pads to place the feet of the TP on. This will dampen vibrations. Get them LARGE! You never know what height your legs may have to be raised to. I use the rubber mats that are under a drivers or passengers feet. (At least in the intemperate climes that I work in.)

I set the height of the TP via the legs, and NOT a center post. A raised center post is not as stable as the legs. It will introduce wobble.

As your TP has 3 legs, I attach 3 cords to the vehicle. I have found this to be an extremely stable set up. Wrap the cords arround the TP below the pan head. This will provide you the ability to use the head for pans and tilts.

Attach the other end of the cords to what ever is permanently mounted to the vehicle: seat rails, etc. And try to keep the TP from touching any part of the vehicle. This will only add bad vibes to your shot.

Make sure that the cords are streched tight, to keep the camera from tilting on turns. (You can't make them too tight, short of breaking them).

When using a front seat mounting, make certain that the camera lens does not touch the windshield; and, that you have clearance for tilting and panning.

While this system does not solve all of the problems that a pro gyro system will, I have come very close.

If I were computer literate, I would post some of the stuff I have taken; some, as far back as 1983. I think you would be impressed with what you can do for a few bucks.

And, I have used this system on a soap opera, when the primary costly system pooped out.

Or, as the tape editor said to me later on:
"You got some good stuff, there."

Good Luck
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #18
Major Player

Robert,

Can you e-mail me the photos? I will stick them in a web page and post them so everyone can benifit.

Thanks everyone for your info!

Keep it coming.
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #19
Major Player

Sorry, Aaron. They are not photo's. I ment video. As I mentioned, I am not computer literate enough to be able to put ?streaming video? on line to the group.

I have enought of a problem trying to stay on line.

Was there any thing I posted of use to you?
Old January 29th, 2004, 04:23 PM   #20
Major Player

Sure. I am interested in trying everyon's set up. The more visual aids I get, the better I can make it.

I think that everyone has done a great job od describing their ideas so far.
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #21
Machinist Mate

I gotta get one of those stickypods and give it a good tryout--after the weather improves!
Old February 8th, 2004, 03:19 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hmm... I just thought of something crazy.... time lapse of clouds from a moving car and straight road... that's pretty far out.
Tom Kronberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 09:16 AM   #23
Tourist

Sticky Pod in Automobile Magazine

Checkout the March issue of Automobile Magazine. Just go to the In Gear section and you will find the Sticky Pod.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications