Any ideas for flipping camera to portrait mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 9th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any ideas for flipping camera to portrait mode?

This new bunch of DSLRs that shoot video are certainly better off mounted to a video head. But presuming you purchased a convergent device, you are probably going to be using it as a still camera as well. Any recommendations for an adapter that allows the camera to be mounted a fluid head and still be quickly switched to portrait mode?
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Some tripod heads can do it, but it's touchy setting them to the 90 degree flip... BUT... Stroboframe makes devices designed to do just that - and there are some import knockoffs of the Stroboframe mounts. If you do a search for "flash brackets" you'll find various models - some are designed to rotate a flash, but there are several designed to rotate the camera when tripod mounted. Also you might look for a Newton bracket - pricey, but top quality.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Dave.
I'm wondering if rather than a fixed bracket that allows the attached camera to flip, might it not be better to have an "L" bracket with two quick releases for your fluid head? The bracket would also provide a surface to attach microphone preamps, a wireless receiver and all the other paraphernalia a videographer might require. One could then still rely on the ball level on one's video head?

Last edited by Marc Myers; June 11th, 2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Gave it more thought
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Well... while Stroboframe makes a flip only (Versiflip I think it was called), most of the flash brackets by definition will have a bracket that goes up and over the camera where you ought to be able to mount other stuff (usually there's at least a cold shoe, but with a little rework, you could probably mount anything up there).

The problems I see with the "L" bracket and QR is that it takes time to switch, and how do you know the "L" is a clean 90 degree (not to mention wobble)? The idea behind the camera rotator brackets is to allow you to simply rotate the cam on a solid mechanical mechanism that gives you a preset 90 degree rotate from landscape to portrait mode. They still would attach to your tripod head and set your level normally, just rotate the camera when needed to take portrait orientation shots.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Trustee

I'm going to have a machinist friend of mine make an L bracket. true 90deg and shake won't be an issue as we're using 1/4" steel...will keep weight down by drilling some lightening holes. Still mulling over the design but I think we're just going to weld a quick release plate to the bottom and the female side to where the camera goes. I'll post it when done.
Robert Turchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Really Right Stuff (RRS) makes some very nice high quality L-brackets and QR clamps that you should be able to adapt quite easily.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #7
Trustee

contacted them and WOW they are expensive!
So here's the update...machinist friend not needed...Home Depot run today found strapping metal for house framing in 2" wide already bent into a perfect L. It's about an 1/8" thick and even held in my heavy vise I couldn't bend it using all my weight.
Bottom is about 4" and top is about 8". Cut about 2" off the upper and smoothed the edges. Got 1/4-20 nuts and bolts (pair) to mount the QR plate for my Manfrotto and the upper will get a 1/4-20 thumbscrew for the camera and a smaller bolt brazed to the bracket for the stabilizer pin. Once assembled, it'll get a coat of primer and black paint and total cost will be $27 for a pair (friend wants one too) with all hardware and paint!
I'll post link to pics with and without camera as soon as it's done.
Old November 11th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Trustee

http://www5.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...NAME=snapfish/

Here's the finished. It's not the prettiest but not too bad (I'm not great at brazing!)
CHEAP and functional! Still allows full use of the tripod and when I need to mount to a teleprompter for greenscreen work, it'll work just fine!

Last edited by Robert Turchick; November 11th, 2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old November 21st, 2009, 12:33 AM   #9
Trustee

ahh just learned to use the gallery here!
Attached Thumbnails
Any ideas for flipping camera to portrait mode?-p1110673.jpg   Any ideas for flipping camera to portrait mode?-p1110669.jpg  

Any ideas for flipping camera to portrait mode?-p1110674.jpg  
Old January 18th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Stroboframe

Teh Strobofram company makes some camera flipping mounts for use on their flash brackets.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #11
Major Player

Re: Any ideas for flipping camera to portrait mode?

I saw this at NAB last year, Spider Pod Ringo:
RINGO HEAD CAMERA MOUNT

Not really for a quick landscape / portrait change up as the OP was looking for. This thing looks pretty hefty (like Spider Pod's other products), plus it offers support for the "top" of the camera so you're holding up your camera w/o risking extra stress on the tripod screws.

This is a lot more for if you want to record vertical for a vertical mounted flat screen. Or if you're doing green screen of a person standing still & you're loosing lots of resolution on the sides since the person.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications