Wheelchair Production System at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications

Old November 5th, 2004, 10:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wheelchair Production System

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp...eItem=LTM%2DM1
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 01:25 AM   #2
Wrangler

The problem with a wheelchair is that it is a very bumpy ride. I think the quality of the video from that setup will be very poor when the chair is moving.

I find I have to cushion the camera very carefully to avoid excessive shake on normal sidewalks and parking lots. Sweep first and plan your path to avoid all cracks and small bumps.
Old November 6th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #3
Warden

Mike is 100% right. But wheelchairs work OK in controlled environments, like smooth cement and tiled floors. I've even done some work on a basketball court that worked great. The viewer really had a feeling of being on the court.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 12:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I remember using an old wheelchair and it was even bumpy on smooth cement... so make sure the wheels are smooth as well
Lloyd Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 09:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Tiled Floor

Wouldn't tiled floor produce bumps because of the seams?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

FWIW, Stanley Kubrick used a wheelchair as a camera mount in A Clockwork Orange, and possibly other films. There are production stills showing the rig in the writer's house (different from the on-screen chair the writer was confined to later in the movie), pushed along plywood sheets for stability.
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #7
Regular Crew

is it me or does that wheelchair clamp cost $715?!?
Lloyd Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #8
Warden

I suppose the age of the wheels (rubber tires) would be a factor in the smoothness of the movements. Uneven joints in tile would certainly cause bumps, but properly tiles floors weren't a problem. We used a Bogen Magic Arm and Super clamps to secure the camera to the wheelchair, total cost was less than $200 (not counting the chair.)

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #9
Regular Crew

the only way that it would work is on a very smooth floor.
you could easily make something at home for a mount instead of spending alot of money
Nate Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 05:59 AM   #10
Capt. Quirk

It seems to me, that you should have several options for tires. I'm sure I've seen some over sized tires that should cushion the ride some.
Old October 29th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #11
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Brodsky
FWIW, Stanley Kubrick used a wheelchair as a camera mount in A Clockwork Orange, and possibly other films. There are production stills showing the rig in the writer's house (different from the on-screen chair the writer was confined to later in the movie), pushed along plywood sheets for stability.
It was a steadicam arm attached to the wheelchair directly; saving the operator from supporting the arm but still providing shock absorbence and support.
Cail Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #12
Major Player

Wheelchair Dolly on the Cheap

I used a wheelchair for a rolling video rig for a couple of years. I had a lot of playback accessories and a large, deep-cycle RV battery on a bottom rack to power it all.

At first, with solid rubber tires, it was bumpy, but I got some larger, air-filled ones and that solved the problem. If I was going to shoot while dollying, I let out all but about 8 lbs. of pressure and it became much smoother. Cracks in sidewalks and tile don't present much of a problem, as the footprint of the tires is long enough to span over them. With lower pressure, the footprint is larger and any small bumps are cushioned. Even if you don't use it for moving shots, it provides a good way to haul a lot of ready-to-shoot equipment around.

I found the chair at St. Vincent's for $15. It looked beat-up, but a quick tune-up of the wheels made it roll just fine. If you can work on bicycles, you can take a derelict chair and put it in order without spending nearly as much as one in top shape would cost.

The main drawback to using a wheelchair mount, is that you tend to attract onlookers and since you usually have the camera at a low height, it may be
hard to get clear shots when you're in public places.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications