DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Special Mounts and Applications (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/special-mounts-applications/)
-   -   Manfrotto 501 quick release plate (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/special-mounts-applications/468418-manfrotto-501-quick-release-plate.html)

Paul Cronin November 26th, 2009 10:06 AM

Manfrotto 501 quick release plate

Has anyone used one of these?
Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 577 Rapid Connect Adapter | 577

I am looking to go between my 501 tripod and my shoulder brace and using the quick release plate. Not sure what the bottom of this looks like for bolting to my shoulder brace.

Don Bloom November 26th, 2009 10:13 AM

I have one on my monopod, my DVMultirig and my cereal bowl ;-)
Well maybe not the cereal bowl but on the other stuff. It has proven to be invaluable to be able to switch from one to another without fumbling. The actual bottom plate has both a 1/4-20 and a 3/8-16 threaded hole so either of the typical mounting screws supplied with the 501/503 type heads work. I use the 1/4-20. All of my breadloaf cameras have the QR plate and I would be lost without it.
Well worth the money IMO.

Paul Cronin November 26th, 2009 11:24 AM

Hi Don thanks for the response.

Great to hear it works well. So you are saying the bottom of the base is secured to your DVMultirig with 1/4-20 or 3/8-16 just like the quick release plate is to the camera?

Don Bloom November 26th, 2009 12:44 PM

yep. the multirig has a 1/4-20 screw (bolt) and I have the bottom plate (the actual QR mechanism) attached to it with that. That's where it lives, never comes off. Then when I need to get on the mutlirig (or monopod as that has one also) it's a simple push pull twist and flip ;-). It takes only a few seconds to move from one to the other.

Paul Cronin November 27th, 2009 09:16 AM

Thank you Don I now have one on the way.

Melvin Baggs November 27th, 2009 10:52 PM

My quick release bracket has been ordered and is in transit for my DV multirig. I will let you know how it works when it arrives.

Melvin

Don Bloom November 28th, 2009 07:17 AM

Just so you know, 1 thing I did was to take the mounting screw, from the multirig, out of the slot and turn the little plate around so the little locking point was at the rear. I then place the QR 577 mount a little further forward and the locking lever doesn't get rubbed raw by the screw lock of the right side handle of the multirig.
Hope that all makes sense. If not let me know I'll try to post a picture or 2.

Paul Cronin November 28th, 2009 09:08 AM

Good point Don that makes sense.

Don Bloom November 28th, 2009 10:31 AM

EDIT NOTE::::::: in order to do that take a 1/4" drill bit and at the rear of the slot where the mounting screw and plate goes on the multi rig, you need to drill it out. IOW, at the rear of the slot drill it out so the screw will come out OR you stand a chance of stripping the screw. It's just a tiny little bit to drill but it makes a world of difference.
WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!! Before you DO start drilling just check to make sure you really do need to in case the your's is different than mine. I tried to unscrew the mounting screw from the multirig and found it was quite tight and didn't want to take a chance of stripping it so hence a 1/4" drill bit, a cordless drill and 2 seconds to do it.
Anyway I figured I better mention this before Danny N starts getting all kinds of orders for those mounting screws and starts wondering what the heck is going on. ;-)

Paul Cronin November 28th, 2009 10:36 AM

Warning taken,

I would never just start drilling until I knew it was need and there were no other options.

I will know Monday when the quick release arrives and I test out the options.

Paul Cronin December 1st, 2009 02:25 PM

Quick Release arrived and yes it is worth every penny. Nice addition.

Don Bloom December 1st, 2009 02:50 PM

Glad it worked for you. Isn't it nice to be able to go from tripod to rig and back quickly?!

Paul Cronin December 1st, 2009 03:06 PM

Thanks Don,

Yes it is great and only takes seconds. Positive lock and easy to use.

Andrew Jezierski April 9th, 2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1453185)
Just so you know, 1 thing I did was to take the mounting screw, from the multirig, out of the slot and turn the little plate around so the little locking point was at the rear. I then place the QR 577 mount a little further forward and the locking lever doesn't get rubbed raw by the screw lock of the right side handle of the multirig.
Hope that all makes sense. If not let me know I'll try to post a picture or 2.

I must be really not technically inclined but despite your description I still cannot figure it out.
The only way the tightening knob of 577 can be turned is when 577 is mounted at the maximal forward position in the multirig slot. However this position leaves 2/3 of the adapter hanging out in the front over sloping down part of multirig mounting plate. If I try to move it back the knob is blocked by either the mounting plate or, further back by shoulder support arm.
I am not able to turn around the little blocking plate since there is no hole for the pin to go in?

Don Bloom April 9th, 2010 03:39 PM

a very small allan head wrench is needed to loosen the flip lever on the QR mount. You can then reset the lever to a position where it won't be interfered with when you move it, otherwise you're right. It will rub on the screw on the multirig an be difficult to move plus you'll mess up the finish of the lever.