Vinten Fluid head and Fibertec sticks - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications

Old January 11th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris glad you like the stills. The sunset was stunning with the red/orange popping.

I heard Vinten lost their supplier/builder for the carbon parts. That should not be too hard to replace with all the carbon knowledge in Europe. If anyone buying sticks has any engineering knowledge they will buy I-Beams over tube every time. On top of that the Vision 100 head is a perfect match.

Either way I am glad I have this setup and would not want to trade it for anything. Now it is time for the kit to earn its way.
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #17
Major Player

Chris,

Thank you for the write up on the Vinten tripod leg system.

If I were in the market to buy a new tripod I would definately put this one in the top three.

I would classify these legs as primarily designed for ENG/EFP use, hence the weight, hence the quick release/clamp down connectors and the short spikes. Regardless, like most here, the kind of shooting I do is a mix of outdoor, event and studio work where the work calls for different kinds of tripods all the time. The decision when buying is a tough one as you have to play off flexibility in leg setup with rigidity.

When I made my decision I went for a combination of lightness of rig, setup time, flexibility of leg position and rigidity. I ended up purchasing the Miller DV Solo 2 carbon fibre legs (along with a Miller head). It ends up having top marks in most of the qualities except for fast and consistent setup time which is almost an overriding quality in my books for a set of tripod legs. ENG style legs like the Vinten you have give you that lightning fast & consistent setup time.

If I were to buy again (and I will of course) I will go for the ENG style legs like the Vinten but I don't think I would use them for outdoor work particularly if I was hiking in. To each there own however.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Andrew glad Chris write up helped it sure opened my eyes.

I agree with some of your comments. They are ENG/EFP legs but I do use them often in the studio. And agree we must stay flexible.

I also have the Miller DV Solo carbon legs and use a Miller DV20 on the legs for my EX1.

For hiking in with my 350 I would never take the Miller legs only the Fiber Tech legs. They are easy to carry upside down with the strap or hooked to my LowePro large backpack. I have hiked in for a few hours with this setup and it is great. For shorter hikes up to about 1 hr in I use the tripod with the shoulder strap and my Porta Brace Carry-On bag for camera with shoulder strap. I think you would be amazed how light these legs are and how easy they are to carry.

But you are right to each his own and that's what makes this forum so great.

Thanks for the comments.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications