Kessler CineSlider at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications

Old February 26th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Kessler CineSlider

I am interested in the CineSlider for my 7d, EX1, and EX350 for an upcoming job. I have been to the site and read the review, viewed the demo videos. Has anyone on DVinfo had the opportunity to use one on a job?
Old February 26th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #2
Major Player

I bought one as soon as they were available. It's a pretty nifty little piece of kit. I'd say it's a bit pricey for what it is, but this is specialty gear set up for a niche market, after all.

The hand crank to me is only really useful on very slow moves. The whole mechanism is only just very slightly wobbly - that is to say that I feel it just gently lurch side to side slightly when I move the carriage on the track. I think it's a factor of the hand crank, actually being off-center with its weight, but I could be wrong about that... It doesn't seem to affect any shots - but I am usually pretty wide.

In any case, it's definitely already paid for itself. Having a doorway dolly on set (and the additional grip to run it), not to mention the extra vehicle or trailer required to carry such a beast, and you're talking a quick return on investment for short run track jobs.

Speaking of which, the short track has its limitations. It's great when you're wide and close to the action. It's especially good when you can use some object in the foreground to add to the depth and drama.

I'm looking forward to getting a macro lens and trying it out with the hand crank. One idea I've had is to loop a rubber band around the crank to avoid hand tremble and to enable smaller forces to be exerted more smoothly.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thank you Eric great input.

Eric at Kessler said they are back ordered and don't know if they could have one in time for my job. So I am looking into the one Olof at WestSide AV builds. I will test one soon.

Either way I agree it should pay for itself on the first two jobs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications