Raised Platform for Videography at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications

Old February 28th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Raised Platform for Videography

Well, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this posting but I am wanting to know what types of scaffolds or supports are available when shooting in a tight area. Is it something that I need to build or is it something that I can rent. This is being requested for one of my jobs. Also, what should I charge for something like this?
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Raised Platform for Videography

Most of the AV companies that do staging have camera platforms. You should get 2 - about 4 feet square and about 3 feet in height. Isolate any vibrations by putting the camera on the separate platform.
You can build your own but it's easier to rent.
Peter Mykusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

AV1, PSAV, among other av companies in Chicago rent gear and one piece of gear is a Spider Pod.
I don't know their rental requirements anymore but it can't hurt to email or call them.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have a fold up "painters platform" that I got from the hardware store for $30!! It's about 6' x 3' and 3' off the ground and it really nice for getting over people's heads. I use it during dancing at weddings mostly but it's also a darn useful tool around the home too!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 08:41 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Chris!

I'll check this out as I have the same yearly shoot coming around again in April.

Merry Christmas!
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:06 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Chris,
Great idea and I'm sure it's a lot lighter and easier to carry and setup than a spider pod.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Chris, was it Bunnings?
Old December 23rd, 2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Trustee

If you have access to a wood shop, you can make your own using this:
RISERS FOR SQUARE PLATFORMS

The stage riser folds up and is so light, you can hold it with 3 fingers! It's designed similarly to those folding picnic chairs. When opened, the platform spreads out 4ft x 4ft. Throw a piece of plywood on it, and you can put one ton of weight on it. It has 9 contact points touching the ground, so it's rock solid! On a smooth surface, there is no rocking or shaking. Best of all, you can put your tripod AND yourself on it, and you can walk around on it without disturbing the camera's shot. I built my own for about $150 total.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Warren,
Back in August or September I did a 1/2 day seminar and the hotel had setup a riser for me to shoot from and it looked like that one. It was solid as a rock with no bounce in it at all. Of course I was the only one on it and I'm only about 165 (pounds not years) plus my camera rig which comes in at about 30 pounds with tripod and I wasn't walking around when shooting but getting on and off the floor was solid.
I liked it and for the money you can't go wrong.
Old December 24th, 2013, 06:38 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Tim

The very same!! Called a painter's platform and they had them for around $30.00 ..Shucks the aluminium would cost more than that if I tried to make it myself.

I have been reprimanded a few times for standing on the venues chairs and tables so I decided this was a safer option!

Chris
Old September 28th, 2016, 05:40 PM   #11
Major Player

Hey Chris. Do you have a picture of your 6X3 setup or a link to it on a website? When I google Bunnings 6X3 Platform I'm not seeing it.

-My first thought was to build a setup like this with benches: Make You Own 22" Camera Platform/Riser. Alternative to Spider Pod

-But then I saw Warren's setup using the "24 Stage Riser which really appeals to me because it has 9 points of contact. Sounds more stable than option 1 which is smaller, and doesn't go all the way to the edge.

-But then I saw you mentioned a setup and I was curious to research it.
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2016, 09:57 PM   #12
Major Player

Chris, a point of clarification. Are you just just using it for you to stand on with a tall tripod, or is it functioning like a stage in the example above with the stage riser (a no shake stage for both operator and camera).?
Old September 28th, 2016, 11:38 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Josh

My platform doesn't have enough space for a tripod at all ... it's more like a 5 x 3 and about 3' high and I use it for dancing shots at weddings so not really suitable for an event with long run times where you need a tripod. I saw a great media platform somewhere (I think from the UK with a 6x6 platform and adjustable heights and even some steps and a safety rail all around but it cost a bomb!!
Old September 29th, 2016, 02:06 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi Chris, ok that's what I assumed but I just wanted to double check.

Warren's solution of buying the 24" stage riser and putting a 4X4 piece of plywood on it is perfect for me. Drape a black cloth across it and wholla. $160 later I've got a platform with 9 points of support.!
Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:08 PM   #15
Major Player

Warren: how thick was the plywood you purchased for it?
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications