DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Special Mounts and Applications (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/special-mounts-applications/)
-   -   Raised Platform for Videography (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/special-mounts-applications/514671-raised-platform-videography.html)

Maurice Covington February 28th, 2013 07:19 PM

Raised Platform for Videography

Well, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this posting but I am wanting to know what types of scaffolds or supports are available when shooting in a tight area. Is it something that I need to build or is it something that I can rent. This is being requested for one of my jobs. Also, what should I charge for something like this?

Peter Mykusz December 22nd, 2013 08:41 PM

Re: Raised Platform for Videography

Most of the AV companies that do staging have camera platforms. You should get 2 - about 4 feet square and about 3 feet in height. Isolate any vibrations by putting the camera on the separate platform.
You can build your own but it's easier to rent.

Don Bloom December 22nd, 2013 09:41 PM

AV1, PSAV, among other av companies in Chicago rent gear and one piece of gear is a Spider Pod.
I don't know their rental requirements anymore but it can't hurt to email or call them.

Chris Harding December 22nd, 2013 09:53 PM

I have a fold up "painters platform" that I got from the hardware store for $30!! It's about 6' x 3' and 3' off the ground and it really nice for getting over people's heads. I use it during dancing at weddings mostly but it's also a darn useful tool around the home too!!

Chris

Maurice Covington December 23rd, 2013 08:41 AM

Thanks Chris!

I'll check this out as I have the same yearly shoot coming around again in April.

Merry Christmas!

Don Bloom December 23rd, 2013 10:06 AM

Chris,
Great idea and I'm sure it's a lot lighter and easier to carry and setup than a spider pod.

Tim Lewis December 23rd, 2013 07:26 PM

Chris, was it Bunnings?

Warren Kawamoto December 23rd, 2013 08:10 PM

If you have access to a wood shop, you can make your own using this:
RISERS FOR SQUARE PLATFORMS

The stage riser folds up and is so light, you can hold it with 3 fingers! It's designed similarly to those folding picnic chairs. When opened, the platform spreads out 4ft x 4ft. Throw a piece of plywood on it, and you can put one ton of weight on it. It has 9 contact points touching the ground, so it's rock solid! On a smooth surface, there is no rocking or shaking. Best of all, you can put your tripod AND yourself on it, and you can walk around on it without disturbing the camera's shot. I built my own for about $150 total.

Don Bloom December 23rd, 2013 09:41 PM

Warren,
Back in August or September I did a 1/2 day seminar and the hotel had setup a riser for me to shoot from and it looked like that one. It was solid as a rock with no bounce in it at all. Of course I was the only one on it and I'm only about 165 (pounds not years) plus my camera rig which comes in at about 30 pounds with tripod and I wasn't walking around when shooting but getting on and off the floor was solid.
I liked it and for the money you can't go wrong.

Chris Harding December 24th, 2013 06:38 AM

Hi Tim

The very same!! Called a painter's platform and they had them for around $30.00 ..Shucks the aluminium would cost more than that if I tried to make it myself.

I have been reprimanded a few times for standing on the venues chairs and tables so I decided this was a safer option!

Chris

Josh Hayes September 28th, 2016 05:40 PM

Hey Chris. Do you have a picture of your 6X3 setup or a link to it on a website? When I google Bunnings 6X3 Platform I'm not seeing it.

-My first thought was to build a setup like this with benches: Make You Own 22" Camera Platform/Riser. Alternative to Spider Pod

-But then I saw Warren's setup using the "24 Stage Riser which really appeals to me because it has 9 points of contact. Sounds more stable than option 1 which is smaller, and doesn't go all the way to the edge.

-But then I saw you mentioned a setup and I was curious to research it.

Josh Hayes September 28th, 2016 09:57 PM

Chris, a point of clarification. Are you just just using it for you to stand on with a tall tripod, or is it functioning like a stage in the example above with the stage riser (a no shake stage for both operator and camera).?

Chris Harding September 28th, 2016 11:38 PM

Hi Josh

My platform doesn't have enough space for a tripod at all ... it's more like a 5 x 3 and about 3' high and I use it for dancing shots at weddings so not really suitable for an event with long run times where you need a tripod. I saw a great media platform somewhere (I think from the UK with a 6x6 platform and adjustable heights and even some steps and a safety rail all around but it cost a bomb!!

Josh Hayes September 29th, 2016 02:06 AM

Hi Chris, ok that's what I assumed but I just wanted to double check.

Warren's solution of buying the 24" stage riser and putting a 4X4 piece of plywood on it is perfect for me. Drape a black cloth across it and wholla. $160 later I've got a platform with 9 points of support.!

Josh Hayes October 3rd, 2016 02:08 PM

Warren: how thick was the plywood you purchased for it?