Hands-free Segway as Steadicam "vehicle". - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications

Old October 18th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
....seeing as I was laid up all summer with a broken ankle, having NOTHING to do with Steadicam...
You know, this segway could be the way a steadicam operator could still work even if injured? There would be some limitations like indoors where just the rig and operator would normally fit. Do you have your legs insured Charles?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:22 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Loh
Random thoughts.

Anyway, I wonder how much the 'performance' of the operator took away from the marching band. Maybe it is just the nerd in me but I would be going, LOOK GUY ON WHEELS WITH CAMERA!
Keith,

That is a very valid point as shooting with a steadicam device gets a lot of attention. I shot a wedding for a friend and had to try to find ways to keep as invisable as possible. Wearing dark is always a good idea but it was in the mid 90s and the wedding was outside on a very sunny day.

I wonder if people thought that the band was playing the "score" for the guy on wheels with that funny thing attached to him instead of the operator taking video of the band.

Tery

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:42 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Yep. I agree as well. I shot a stage play with a live audience and did closeups on the stage with Steadicam during the dress rehearsal for this same reason. There would have been no way to do those shots on the actual performance night without being in the other camera's shots and being very distractive to the audience. The audience was blacked out out by spotlights and stagelights on both nights so later in post I was able to cut the Steadicam shots into the multi-camera shoot which was shot with the audience and you can't tell when the Steadicam shot spins toward the empty seats because of the darkness. Check out the Romp & Ball scene with the intercut 360 shot.

360 Steadicam shot - scroll down to the scene
www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=17557
Old October 19th, 2005, 05:00 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Actually, NAB predated Cinegear by two months, as did the demo at Tiffen in Glendale where I rode it...by the time I saw it at Cinegear it was like "yawn--next!"
Oh, getting old. Of course you are right. I know remember using the excuse of not going to NAB to justify Cinegear. But hey, I got to talk to Dana Brown.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #20
Wrangler

George, you're digging yourself deeper! That would be Garrett Brown...perhaps you may have been thinking about his early adventures as a folksinger where he was half of the singing duo "Brown & Dana"...?
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
George, you're digging yourself deeper! That would be Garrett Brown...perhaps you may have been thinking about his early adventures as a folksinger where he was half of the singing duo "Brown & Dana"...?
Nope, met Garrett, a man we can ALL look up to. Had a couple of beers with Dana Brown in the bar near the Warner parking deck. Dana's credits include "Dust to Glory" and "Step into Liquid". :D Totally cool guy and we know a bunch of the same people (surfers - I knew Kelly Slater when he was just a wee lad).
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I wonder if my brides will mind me driving down the isle?
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #23
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
I wonder if my brides will mind me driving down the isle?
You just need to put a trashcan over you and the cam, go "beep bedeep bloop", and call it a Star Wars themed wedding.
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #24
Major Player

From James..."I shot a stage play with a live audience and did closeups on the stage with Steadicam during the dress rehearsal for this same reason. There would have been no way to do those shots on the actual performance night without being in the other camera's shots and being very distractive to the audience."

James,

I know also about the steadicam shots needing to be done during dress rehersal. My only problem when I shot a dance festival was that one solo dancer had her hair loose in the dress rehersal and pulled back during the live performance. Next time I will have to give explicit instructions.

Tery

www.indicam.com
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:27 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I know that had to frustrate you. The kids' blocking was so good that the closeup footage matched perfect with the actual performance footage. Visual continuity was well maintained too such as looks and costumes.
Old October 19th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #26
Wrangler

George, sorry, I obviously made an easy assumption there since we were talking Steadicam. The name Dana Brown did ring a bell, sounds like you had a good time hanging with him. When I post my yearly announcement encouraging folks to come to Cinegear here on the DVI, I point out that you can find yourself face-to-face and striking conversations with your behind-the-scenes idols.
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #27
Major Player

You mean you'll be there?

I would like to meet Guy Bee sometime.

All the best Charles. Say Hi to Amy for me.

Tery

www.indicam.com
Old October 20th, 2005, 12:38 AM   #28
Wrangler

Guy's usually there too. Good chap, he is.

Best to yours also Terry.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications