Quick release plate for head (not for camera) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 4th, 2016, 04:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Quick release plate for head (not for camera)

This topic may have been discussed before, but I was not sure what keywords I would use to do a proper search.

I have a Konova K3 slider, and I use a Manfrotto 128RC video head on it. For transportation purposes I keep the head in a padded bag and I screw it to the slider plate on site. I unscrew the head at the end of each video shoot.

What I would like to do is have a quick release system on the slider plate itself, so that instead of screwing/unscrewing the Manfrotto video head each time, I can snap it in place (same principle that is used by a camera and a quick release plate).

My question is: are there any quick release systems that are designed for heads (not for cameras) to mount a head to a base? Or, should I use something like the Manfrotto 323 RCS adaptor plate (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tem_Quick.html), and mount the adaptor on the slider plate and the quick release at the bottom of the video head? The different components would surely fit, but would that be enough to keep the head securely in place?

Any other options you can think of?
Andrew Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2016, 07:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Quick release plate for head (not for camera)

Your 323 adapter idea MAY work but DO check the photo of the underside of that adapter on the B&H web site. It (apparently) shows a hex key bolt head and the quick release lock lever shroud sticking proud of the adapter base, which MAY foul the slider.

Other than that it will introduce yet another unlocked/unrestrained screw joint that will attempt to undo with any anti clockwise rotation on the head pan arm.

Two may well exceed your tempers elastic limit.

Regards,

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 06:22 AM   #3
Trustee

As Chris mentioned, the 323 may not clear the larger top surface of the slider's mount.

You might need a quick release system that has a larger flat surface underneath.

Look at the Giottos M621, the Acebil QRSS and the Axler QRA-501S.

One of these should work for you.

Remember the plates shown in the photos that have multiple mounting bolts and anti-rotation pins in place can be removed and switched around for mounting the tripod head instead of a camera.

Depending on the shape of the underside of your head system, you might be able to use the anti-rotation pin, but obviously not if it's totally flat.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 12:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

So, what I hear you say is that the idea may work, I just have to look out for any screw heads or handles sticking out, or for a quick release plate that is of a proper size.

I haven't found a quick release system that is designed for this purpose. If I were to perform another Google search, what would you suggest the keywords to be?
Old June 7th, 2016, 03:38 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Um, it would perhaps be simpler if you posted DETAILED photos of the slider head attachment system and it's layout (plan, elevation etc) so someone can suggest an adapter to suit.

CS
Old June 8th, 2016, 09:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

For illustration's sake, I'm attaching a picture of the slider plate on the Konova K3 and the Manfrotto 323 adapter with an RC2 quick release plate.

As an overview, that is just one adaptor that has been mentioned. There may be other systems that are more appropriate. The idea is to use any quick release system available to connect a Manfrotto 128RC video head to the slider plate without having to screw / unscrew it each time.
Attached Thumbnails
Quick release plate for head (not for camera)-manfrotto_323_rc2.jpg   Quick release plate for head (not for camera)-konova_k3_slider.jpg  

Old June 8th, 2016, 09:35 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Your 323 adapter idea MAY work but DO check the photo of the underside of that adapter on the B&H web site. It (apparently) shows a hex key bolt head and the quick release lock lever shroud sticking proud of the adapter base, which MAY foul the slider.
I see what you mean. Depending on the size of the slider plate, I may have to use a riser. The slider bolt is removable, so I may replace it with a longer one to account for the riser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Two may well exceed your tempers elastic limit.
I didn't get this comment. Are you referring to the strength of the adapter material?
Old June 8th, 2016, 03:34 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Looking at the picture of the head attachment plate on the slider, it is not immediately apparent that there is any means by which a fitted head can be locked or restrained from simply screwing itself off the mounting bolt when under an anti clockwise pan.

If you look carefully at the attached picture of a 520ball for a 75mm half bowl tripod, you can just make out three locking screws set into the flat top of the ball. These are designed to be screwed into the base of a fitted flat base head to lock it in place so it will not unscrew itself under a anti clockwise pan.

So, if you cannot lock the adapter to the slider plate to prevent inadvertent unscrewing, and you cannot lock the head to the adapter ditto, you now have two potential PITA's just waiting to bite at the wrong time.

That's what I meant by that comment.

Manfrotto 520BALL 75mm Half Ball 520BALL B&H Photo Video

CS
Old June 10th, 2016, 08:02 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Good point about locking the head. Incidentally, I've noticed most sliders have the same system: you screw the head into the slider mounting plate, but there is no locking mechanism to prevent the head from unscrewing itself (unless you screw the head really tight, scratching both slider mount and head bottom surfaces).

If I find a quick release adaptor that I can screw in permanently, I could even use something like Loctite on the thread to prevent the adaptor from coming off.
Old June 11th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Depending on just what you can do with that slider top plate, this may be a better option for your particular application.

This adapter I have used myself and it is extremely versatile:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/241139-REG/Manfrotto_577_577_Rapid_Connect_Adapter.html

It has not only 3/8" X 16 & 1/4" X 24 mounting holes but also a M6 (6mm) mounting hole to boot. It's base is completely flat. It comes with both 3/8" and 1/4" screws for attaching whatever to the QR plate and despite people saying otherwise, the lock lever can be adjusted to any one of 6 different positions so that mounting the adapter on a flat surface still allows you to undo the lock with a 180 degree swing without hitting said flat surface.

You MAY, if that slider top plate is removable, be able to drill a hole in the plate to give slide clearance for a 1/4" or 6mm screw so that the adapter is fixed to the plate by both the 3/8" and a 1/4"/ 6mm screw. That will provide both a more rigid fixing AND prevent the adapter unscrewing itself.

There's one PITA taken out of action.

Check out ALL the photos of this adapter in the link supplied.

CS

PS: If you check out that first photo carefully, you will see three items displayed in front of the combined adapter/ QR plate; a 1/4" X 24 screw, a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter bush and a black thingy, which is in fact a "plug in" VHS pin (the older 501PL QR plates had a spring loaded VHS pin, they will probably work just as well).

My point? If you or an acquaintance is a dab hand with a drill press, it may be possible to drill a VHS clearance hole in the base of your head so that the head will not unscrew itself either.

There's both PITA's nailed.
Old June 16th, 2016, 03:57 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Ahem, just in case you ain't noticed Andrew, as if!.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications