building a cable cam - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 11th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #16
Major Player

i created this topic while ago, by now i already have my own cable cam system, now you brought it back again.
My cable cam system works great, almost never shaking, bad thing is just setting it up, takes a lot of time...

I have heard of some our students trying to build helicam also, their main convern was shaking, so they worked out a special softwere for removing shake.
Best helicam footage is probably can be seen in Winged Migration, its just amazing.

Friend of mine went past the cable cam system, and built human cable cam. Like in bike video Roam. So far it works really well...
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weiss View Post
I'm working on a system now to augment my current helicam setup. This is working very well so far. It has only pan/tilt and 2.4ghz downlink set up for remote monitoring. Takes two to operate. One for pan/tilt, and one for speed control. Runs on remote control radios.

This brief clip is pre KS2 gyro. With the KS2 gyro, there is absolutely no camera shake. I have done 300-350 ft shots successfully. I will be doing some 700 foot shots in the winter of 07/08. My system was designed to be light, as I have to haul it around in the mountains to set it up. I am 'flying' a Sony FX1 and a Pany SD1 on it. It works better with the heavier weight of the FX1.

16mb-WMV
www.pitonproductions.com/RandomVids/Cablecam.wmv
I would recommend using a K-8 gyro, and possibly two of them. There is considerable shake that can be very distracting to viewers. Besides that it looks pretty cool. Good work!
Jeremy Teman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weiss View Post
I'm working on a system now to augment my current helicam setup. This is working very well so far. It has only pan/tilt and 2.4ghz downlink set up for remote monitoring. Takes two to operate. One for pan/tilt, and one for speed control. Runs on remote control radios.

This brief clip is pre KS2 gyro. With the KS2 gyro, there is absolutely no camera shake. I have done 300-350 ft shots successfully. I will be doing some 700 foot shots in the winter of 07/08. My system was designed to be light, as I have to haul it around in the mountains to set it up. I am 'flying' a Sony FX1 and a Pany SD1 on it. It works better with the heavier weight of the FX1.

16mb-WMV
www.pitonproductions.com/RandomVids/Cablecam.wmv
Hi Derek what helecopter are you lifting that with?
Andy Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
there's a pretty good picture of a guy with his camera swinging on a cable cam at:

http://www.thecollectivefilm.com

(once you enter the site, you need to click on the "teaser" menu to get the picture, on the far right).

do you know any climbers? they could probably rig a bomber cable cam for you. or ask darcy wittenburg, the guy who i think is pictured on the cable cam in the "teaser" menu....

and while you're at it, buy the film. some of the best cable cam footage i've ever seen.....some truly impossible shots.
the movie by the collective, ROAM is great. a 16mm mountain biking filming which features the filming aspect of it more than any other I have seen. some very interesting techniques.
Andrew Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Fraser View Post
the movie by the collective, ROAM is great. a 16mm mountain biking filming which features the filming aspect of it more than any other I have seen. some very interesting techniques.
Yup watched it at the Mountain Film Festival in Cumbria (UK) last year, a quality piece of work, do this type of video work in my spare time (mountain bikes, i've lots of friends into it) they always seem to pull something new out of the bag in there videos, on the DVD (I think it''s the ROAM one anyway) they show a little of them setting up the cable cam, any one thinks you can throw one of these up in 5 mins is in for a real shock!
Andy Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:00 PM   #21
New Boot

Ziplines are fun. And what you can do it build a light-duty zipline and then simply develope a carriage for the camera. You might also add monitors.. and that sort of thing i you want to watch what is happening.
Jasper Blunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:14 AM   #22
New Boot

hello,

i found some months ago a website of a "cable camera" constructor, it was an us web site,
i forgot to save it in my favorites and now i can't find it,
is there some guys who know which website i'm talking about?
Thank you.
Paul Morales is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications