DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Special Mounts and Applications (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/special-mounts-applications/)
-   -   High End Video Eyewear for Jib & Steadicam Operators (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/special-mounts-applications/60138-high-end-video-eyewear-jib-steadicam-operators.html)

James Emory February 7th, 2006 07:23 PM

High End Video Eyewear for Jib & Steadicam Operators

www.microoptical.net/Products/HomePage.html

www.icuiti.com

Terry Thompson February 8th, 2006 12:05 AM

James,

I looked at this a while ago but the price was way out of my league. I couldn't find pricing on the website so I don't know if it's still in outer space.

I tried out an Eyetop system but it's cable was too stiff for my lightweight rig and threw everything out of balance.

I want a system that has a small transmitter in it so it's wireless.

It's great to dream.

Tery
www.indicam.com

Mikko Wilson February 8th, 2006 08:26 AM

These, along with many other options, have been tried with Steadicam's before. They don't really work very well.

The problem is that as free as the Steadicam is, you want as many things as possible to aid your orientation and navigation. Hving the monitor attached physically to the camera allows you to use it as a solid referance point to figur out which whay everything is pointing.

Some other failed ideas have been:
Putting a monitor on the back of the sled for when shootin backwards over the shoulder in Don Juan mode so that operator could still look forward. The problem is that this reveres teh tilt axis, which is very disorienting.
The monitor has also been mounted to the arm (which would be similar to the video glasses) but then the operator lost track of the sled and had to keep looking to see which wat it was pointed anyway.

Basically you need to be looking at the front of the sled to keep track of the camera anyway, so putting the monitor there actually serves many purposes.

..and then there's the whole wire issue of having an "off-board" monitor.

- Mikko

Terry Thompson February 8th, 2006 10:34 AM

Mikko,

I can see why those configurations would be hard on the operator. I do believe though that if someone had an eyeglass monitor he (or she) would get used to using it and could get quite effective. A matter of practice etc.

Anyway, until I see a wireless system it's down the regular road I go.

Tery

James Emory February 8th, 2006 08:07 PM

You could easily make this wireless by simply plugging any wireless video receiver into the glasses. There are quite a few very affordable wireless transmitter/receiver systems available.

Terry Thompson February 8th, 2006 11:36 PM

James,

You still have to have a transmitter.

I've looked around and couldn't find one that I liked at a price I liked. It doesn't have to transmit far...just a few feet. It should be small though.

I do have a steadicam transmitter on channel 30 which works great but I would need a receiver that had TV channels in it.

I'm sure the answer is out there in internetland somewhere.

Tery

James Emory February 8th, 2006 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Thompson
James,

You still have to have a transmitter.

Yes, look closely, I said transmitter/receiver. What do you mean by a
Steadicam transmitter and why wouldn't you have a receiver with it? It isn't that Wave from Markertek is it?

George Ellis February 9th, 2006 04:40 AM

IDX makes or distributes one. Tiffen had it on the rigs at Cinegear last year with the hands free Segway. Edit, but the receiver was bigger than a Beachtek DXA-8.

Charles Papert February 9th, 2006 01:17 PM

Supercircuits.com has some very low cost transmitter/receiver packages. They have transmitters that are beyond tiny, although the receivers have some size to them.

Here is a great little lightweight tuner, can be powered off a camcorder battery if needed.

James Emory February 9th, 2006 02:57 PM

I'm trying to keep it affordable because the Modulus, Transvideo, and Premier Wireless systems are sure small enough but are $1500+. Here are some that are small and affordable.

These systems are designed for R/C planes and helos so they have to be small and light. Most are also designed with special plugs to connect to flight packs for power. It's possible that you would have to either just change the power plug or get the power packs that go with them.

Transmitters / Receivers
www.blackwidowav.com/products24ghz.html

DigiLive
http://www.blackwidowav.com/bwav2402...eUFPbasic.html

www.tinywireless.com

Terry Thompson February 9th, 2006 03:11 PM

Leave it to you Charles to find what I've been looking for. Thanks!

I'll contact the company and see where I can get one of these. I wonder if they will be at NAB.

The recever size isn't as crucial as the transmitter size and my transmitter is only 5.0 x 1.5 x .75 which is great.

Tery

James Emory February 9th, 2006 03:15 PM

Okay, I wan't paying attention. I apparently didn't notice that you said you needed a receiver with a TV tuner. What kind of transmitter do you have?

Terry Thompson February 9th, 2006 03:56 PM

James,

It's a puzzlement (in the works of the King of Siam).

It doesn't have a name on the outside, only a tag that sais "CH-30A". There is no identification on the circuit board inside either but it works great.

It was advertized as Steadicam Transmitter CH 30. The cas does say it is made in Canada but that might just be the case. I can't even see a crystal on the board. It could be on the other side that I can't get to without taking things apart.

Like I say...It's a puzzlement!

Tery

Wayne Orr February 11th, 2006 01:41 PM

In the twenty or so years that jibs have been around, I have never seen any professional jib operator use these glasses. I know one operator who tried them, but gave up on them quickly. I can't say what his objection was, but I imagine it was too scary not being able to see what was outside the field of view on the glasses. There have been a number of cases where experienced jib operators have struck talent, audience members, the floor, or sets with jibs, and certainly these types of glasses would increase that possibility. Remember, you are legally responsible for any damage or injuries you cause with your gear, and anything you use that might interfere with your ability to operate properly could have serious repercussions.

Likewise, I have never seen a steadicam operator use the glasses, but possibly Charles has more information. I know I had the misfortune to step off an eight foot high stage with a steadicam, and I would never use anything that would interfere with my ability to see what's going on around me. (My accident was caused by an "assistant" who was supposed to be watching out for me, but was more interested in watching the stage show. You get what you pay for.)

Wayne Orr, SOC

Terry Thompson February 11th, 2006 07:34 PM

Wayne,

I can agree with all of that.

The unit I was thinking of has the viewer on the side so you can see ahead of you as well as frame the shot on the side viewer. Maybe it hasn't been made yet and even if it has, it still might not be a good idea.

I would like to test it out just the same...probably in a nerf room for safety.

Tery