Power pan/tilt tripod head. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 12th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Power pan/tilt tripod head.

Hello everyone, I need some advise about a power head for my tripod so I can pan and tilt my camera smoothly. What are the recommended brands (low budget price) that are available? Anything in particular I should look for, as in features? Obviously weight is the biggest issue, and my camera set up with shotgun mics and stuff is around 5 pounds. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
David L. Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #2
Major Player

I have a Manfrotto 128RC fluid head. It is good.
This year i will buy the 501 head, it looks more professional.
The 503 is too big for this cam (and not so cheap).

IMHO the 501 is the perfect choice.
Anyone else?
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sorry I'm too lame to remember how to make this URL clickable, but check this out:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...ff=8&sort=prod

Mike.
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I guess being lame is okay. Its clickable and I didn't have to do anything special.
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #5
Wrangler

Yes, the system usually can parse URL's all by itself. But unfortunately that link gives me an error message "Sorry, no matches were found." I don't think you can easily link to those items. However we discourage posting links to products from non-sponsors. Please support the DVinfo sponsors who support this site. B&H Photo has an excellent selection.

David, are you looking for some sort of motorized pan/tilt head like this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Or just a regular tripod/head combination like these?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=5136
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I already own a Manfrotto 3011 tripod with a 3130 fluid head, but even during simple pan shots, there is still a bit of unsteadines. My cousin showed me a video he did with a motorized power pan head and the action was near perfect. I was wondering if anyone out there has used something similar, or has any advise about getting good smooth pan shots.
David L. Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 05:18 AM   #7
Wrangler

I don't have any experience with motorized heads, but I'll bet they aren't so great unless you get something very expensive. If you want smooth action then you should probably just get a better fluid head. I used to have one of the inexpensive Manfrotto heads and it was pretty terrible. I upgraded to the Manfrotto 501 and that was better, but still left a lot to be desired. Then I went up to a Miller DS-5 and there was a world of difference.

Your desire for "low budget price" will unfortunately be in conflict with the desire for smooth head action though. There seems to be sort of a "gap" in tripod/head quality vs price. There are a number of options in the $300 range, but then you need to jump up to $800 and more to get much of an improvement.

I'm moving this thread to our camera support forum since it's really about tripod heads instead of GL-2's. Browse through that forum, there's plenty of discussion about tripods and heads in all price ranges. Are you located within a reasonable distance from New York City? If so, then make a trip to B&H Photo. They have a display with tripods of all types that you can play with. That would probably help you form your own opinions about price vs quality. Also, please click on the "controls" link and go to your user profile, then add your City/State/Country. This lets us know where you are and can be helpful when making suggestions.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications