Bean bags - have you made one? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Bean bags - have you made one?

I had a good bean bag but must've left it at the church when the exodus to the reception started. I went back to the church yard late that night and searched in vain. It must've looked a strange sight for the locals - a slowly moving shadowy figure moving in and around the gravestones, waving a movie light around..

But I digress. I want to make one this time and wondered what's best for the innards. Coffee beans, polystrene beads, glass balls, what?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Haven't done it but would consider a bag of blackeyed peas or similar.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What's the beanbag for? I'm assuming to sit the camera onto something and hold it in a fixed position?
Wade Hanchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM   #4
Trustee

Never used or owned one but I'm told the Cinesaddle is way more than just a bean bag. Not exactly cheap but I'm also told they spent a lot of time getting it just right.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #5
Major Player

Believe it or not, I've used mouse & keyboard wrist cushions from www.imakproducts.com from their ergobeads line. I've used the keyboard wrist cusion, in a circular shape for larger 3 chip cameras & the smaller mouse/wrist cushion for smaller hdv cams. It's also used to cradle the lens underneath when in it's bag. Good stuff! :)

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #6
Wrangler

i use a buckwheat hull pillow. the cinesaddle looks nice, but the price is outrageous.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

We used a couple of 5 pound bag of rice.
Walter J Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #8
Major Player

and if you happen to get hungry.....LOL
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:54 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Some good ideas here guys, and thanks for your input. I've finally decided on one of those 'neck support pillows' that I found in a shop. It's filled with some lightweight crunchy beads and I plan to sew some velcro along the two inner surfaces of the 'U', then I can close the arms together and the groove will nicely locate the Z1.

tom.
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #10
Trustee

Tom, I use a tubular-shaped neck pillow from IKEA for the Z1 - it's been great: resting on car window frames, knees, the ground - anywhere! I wouldn't go on a shoot without it.
I guess I could even get a good night's sleep with it as well!

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant
Never used or owned one but I'm told the Cinesaddle is way more than just a bean bag. Not exactly cheap but I'm also told they spent a lot of time getting it just right.
The Steadybag from Visual Departures is a nice affordable alternative to the Cinesaddle. They offer a variety of sizes, the 3lb version is only $42 @ B&H.

We'll be posting a review of the 3lb and 7lb versions at FresHDV soon. FWIW, I was impressed enough with the product while reviewing it to personally purchase the 7lb version afterwards.
Matt Jeppsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hey guys;
I just bought this bag at Calumet photo last week. I try it at home and I like it. Here is a link from another company but this is the bag.
http://thepod.ca/content/packaging/yellow_front.html
I just wish that it could be atach to the camera shoe rather than scew on to the bottom of the camera.
Mike Quinones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Robin - I went to have a look around my local Ikea, but all their hundreds of cushions were filled with foam of some sort. Very good for a night's sleep, but I need some crunchy nut in there so that my camera can nestle down into it and be held rock steady. I don't want it bouncing about.

Did you find an Ikea neck pillow with beads inside? Do you have a name for it? (Erika, Leifan?).

tom.
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Mike - I had a look at the cylidrical screw-in bag you bought, but even the biggest one I didn't think would be big enough for a fully loaded Z1. It was pretty heavy, too, so have they put small stones in there?

You could convert it to a 'quick shoe' if you could buy your tripod manufacturer's tripod plate seperately. Some sell these.

tom.
Old January 14th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #15
Trustee

Hi Tom,
The name on the Ikea label is KLIPPAN, and it is filled with some sort of small bean - it's certainly not foam.
It's about 14 inches long and about 6 inches diameter.

Regards,

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications