DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Special Mounts and Applications (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/special-mounts-applications/)
-   -   How is Epic Cam underwater Housing ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/special-mounts-applications/84468-how-epic-cam-underwater-housing.html)

Philippe Dionne January 21st, 2007 05:27 PM

How is Epic Cam underwater Housing ?

Hi, I was wondering If someone had purchased a product from Epic Cam (http://epiccam.com/products) and what's your experience with it.

Just to know if it's safe to put a V1 inside one of these Housing.

Thanks !

Joe Holley January 21st, 2007 09:07 PM

Hello phillipe,
Are you only wanting to get "surf shots"? Their housings look like they are only rated to 20ft.

Judging from the specs on their website, you may want to ask a few important questions.
What controls will you have?--Depending on the model, it looks like you would be very limited. The only control I could find was the adjustable pause/record.
Are all of their housings only rated to 20ft?--If so, this limits you to only surf type shots. I never take a housing to its "rated" depth. I guess I just like to have at least a small safety buffer.
One of the most important functions of any underwater video housing, is the ability to make white balance adjustments. This can be accomplished with wb shift or one-touch wb and is either electronic or mechanical, depending on the manufacturer.

Best of luck,

Philippe Dionne January 22nd, 2007 01:44 PM

I'll be using the Housing to film whitewater kayaking. Most of the time I'll use it really near of water and sometimes underwater but still really near from surface, I think that 20 feets is enough.

My worries are about the fiability of the housing, the protections against shaking for the camera and the alteration of picture because of filming trough a sort of plastic.

Finally, I thought I could set the cam before puting it in the case and then just push pause/record. Well, if someone has any informations to share about these products or knows any other underwater housing that would fit the V1 and who isn't made for scuba diving's deepnests I would be really happy to know it.

Thanks !

David W. Jones January 23rd, 2007 08:15 PM

I was interested in their housings until I saw footage from the unit.
The clear housing is a design flaw IMHO, allowing light in from the sides to reflect off the front element, and back into the lens, acting as a mirror.

Philippe Dionne January 25th, 2007 12:15 PM

Thats a good point, maybe by manually add some foam and black paint on the housing would reduce this.

Karisa Stucker December 4th, 2008 02:32 PM

The Epic Cam's lens guard acts as a sun shield and the reflection only occurs if someone doesn't mount the camera all the way to the front of the housing. Just like other housings that are not clear. i.e.- Ikelite housings.

Also the Epic Elite and Sport are now being tested at 40 feet but I know plenty of people who are using the housings at 60 and even 90 feet!

There is a bunch of customer footage on the site here: EpicCam Video Housings - Videos

-Karisa

Ps- I work at EpicCam.com so if you have any other questions please let me know!

Federico Martini Crotti April 10th, 2009 12:29 PM

-Karisa

Ps- I work at EpicCam.com so if you have any other questions please let me know![/QUOTE]

Do EpicCams have tripod mount? Thanks.

Karisa Stucker July 5th, 2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Federico Martini Crotti (Post 1075728)
-Karisa
Do EpicCams have tripod mount? Thanks.

Yes, Epic Camera Housings use your cameras tripod mount to attach your camera to the stabilization tray inside the housing.

Robert Bobson November 25th, 2011 03:55 PM

Re: How is Epic Cam underwater Housing ?

A warning: I used an underwater "bag" housing, and to keep it from being too buoyant, I pressed most of the air out of the bag. But I think that allowed the water pressure to press on the camera, and the tape and tape door became disaligned. the video previously shot on that camera won't play anymore, and the new video intermittently breaks up.
So I would pack a lot of foam and air around the camera and use counterweights if necessary.