Merlin Arm/Vest shipping... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 14th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Hello Chris,

I have zero-hours with the Merlin as I don’t currently own one, but probably have no less than 12-hours watching others handle the unit so I'll say that I have the "theory" down (Groucho Marx Walk). ; )

Yes, it's difficult to say the least to get everyone around you to act as natural as if you weren't even there video-taping, etc. Not only are you handling a larger and more sophisticated camera than those smaller consumer units the public is used to seeing more often, but now you also have some articulated robotic-arm that could be at first-glance, mistaken for your own prosthesis. I think one would blend much better and go unnoticed dressed as a “Hare Krishna” with 9 others dancing around behind him… lol

Thanks again for the quick-review and information, much appreciated!
Armando Serrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando Serrano View Post
I have zero-hours with the Merlin as I don’t currently own one, but probably have no less than 12-hours watching others handle the unit so I'll say that I have the "theory" down (Groucho Marx Walk). ; )
Mmm...well...I wouldn't call the Groucho walk part of stabilizer operating theory, certainly it's one of the major factors for handheld work. A smooth step that rolls from ball of the feet to the toes is good for stabilizers as it limits the jolting that can then translate through the operating hand, but the Groucho walk is all about limiting the vertical travel and shock that is already taken up in a stabilizer by either the mechanical arm or one's own "meat" arm.

I would describe operating theory as being much more about the fingerwork than the footwork, all things being equal. But that's harder to suss out by watching as it is much more subtle.
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #18
Trustee

any suggestions of a case to keep it protected?
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #19
Major Player

I use an old camera case for the arm, which then also holds batteries, my monitor, and tools. Still looking for something for the vest.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #20
Major Player

Tiffen are selling Steadicam Flyer travel bags modified for the Merlin. Will fit everything including the Steadistand. I have ordered one.
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #21
Major Player

hey phil....

I use an old haliburton case.... the foam layers that came in the box that the merlin vest/arm shipped with well.... it's really nice that they shipped with precut foam! I wish more manufactureres would go to the efforts tiffen does with their steadicam products!

I'll probably pick up a pelican case to replace the hali.... the hali makes me feel like I'm transporting illegal subs....

here's some quick snaps.... vest goes up in the lid....

http://www.witzke-studio.com/hd/mercase.jpg

the case measures... 18" X 21" X 7"

I see these cases all the time at used camera stores.... as cheap as $20.... they are made well.... and have a combination lock.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #22
Trustee

Hi Chris

That looks good. need to find something to put it in urgently!

Phil
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #23
Major Player

i think anything with these measurements will work....

18" X 21" X 7"

at more height and another layer of foam for the merlin as well.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)