DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Merlin Arm Vest with Glidecam 4000 Combo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/101402-merlin-arm-vest-glidecam-4000-combo.html)

Thomas Young August 15th, 2007 11:39 AM

Merlin Arm Vest with Glidecam 4000 Combo

This may sound strange but has anyone else considered adapting the Merlin arm and vest with a GC 4000 Pro? Reason being is I have the 4000 already and why not use it. Seems like all it would involve is a short piece of rod machined to fit mount on Steadicam arm and tube on the 4000 handle. From what I read thus far it appears the weight of 4000 sled with camera, mic, light, wide angle lense adapter, batt, etc. would be within capabilities of the arm design. Anyone see something I'm missing?

Mikko Wilson August 15th, 2007 03:32 PM

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, with the right arm-post adapter.

The arm will hold ~15lb

- Mikko

Thomas Young August 16th, 2007 07:36 AM

Thanks for your reply Mikko. The only thing that kind of concerns me is the clearance between operator's legs and the sled part of the GC4000. But, if the arm allows enough forward extension away from the operator's body to clear the sled without causing stability issues, then it should work fine. Would not think it would be that much different than the Steadicam Pilot sled.

I'm about to put the Steadicam arm and vest on order. B&H shows no stock so don't know how long it will take to evaluate, plus I have to make the adapter post. Again, thanks for your observation.

Tom

Tom McDougal August 16th, 2007 10:03 AM

is there a huge difference between smoothshooter and merlin amr/vest

Afton Grant August 16th, 2007 11:04 AM

Yes, the difference is quite significant. The two biggest differences are the dual-segment design and iso-elastic performance of the Merlin arm. Both together give the Merlin quite an edge in terms of performance.

Thomas Young August 16th, 2007 02:23 PM

I considered getting the GC Smooth Shooter rig and was about to make that purchase. Upon more research, along with a background in engineering, the Steadicam arm and vest design started to interest me. The Steadicam vest design is lighter in weight but still distributes the load, plus it would travel more compactly than the GC SS (although I'm not a big fan of all the velcro). More importantly though, the double articulated arm design would better dampen movements plus allowing for a much greater vertical travel range.

Only bringing all this up because I was attempting to find a use for the GC4000, without having to purchase a Merlin - having made the decision to go with the Steadicam vest and arm.

Tom

Mikko Wilson August 16th, 2007 03:34 PM

A Steadicam (/glidecam/whatever) should be operated at your side, not out in front.
Any decent stabilizer arm will allow you to place the rig at your side (in addition to allowing you to bring it across your body to the other side if necessary).

- Mikko

Tom Wills August 16th, 2007 04:06 PM

I wouldn't knock the Velcro until you've tried it. It works a whole lot better than some other adjustment and locking methods do, at least in my opinion. I've found it to be plenty solid, even when maxing out the springs in the arm.

Thomas Young August 16th, 2007 07:50 PM

Really appreciate everyone's comments. Looks like a marriage is in order as soon as Steadicam package is available at dealers.

Thanks........

Chris Dumlao June 4th, 2009 06:33 AM

Hello, just wondering if you were able to get the Glidecam 4000 to work with the Steadicam Arm & Vest. If so, what did you do to make the glidecam fit on the Steadicam arm?

Joel Peregrine June 17th, 2009 04:29 PM

Hi Chris,

I'm running an XH-A1 on a GC 2000 on the arm and vest meant for the Merlin. Works very well. I just replaced the curved post with a straight one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Dumlao (Post 1153829)
Hello, just wondering if you were able to get the Glidecam 4000 to work with the Steadicam Arm & Vest. If so, what did you do to make the glidecam fit on the Steadicam arm?

Terry Thompson June 23rd, 2009 09:36 PM

Thomas,

We know it works as we have sold adapters to customers that connect our vest and arm to the Merlin (and JR for that matter). Our arm has the same connection as the Glidecam arm and we are told the combination works well.

Good luck with you system.

Tery
Indicam