DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Fair price for a good/used Steadicam SK II? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/103299-fair-price-good-used-steadicam-sk-ii.html)

Lonnie Bell September 11th, 2007 08:18 AM

Fair price for a good/used Steadicam SK II?

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what a fair ballpark price would be if I decide to ebay my SK II?

The well used Steadicam SK II with Anton Bauer battery setup worked wonderful with my XL2. It works perfectly and smooth, just cosmetically has the wears of age. Even the green military screen still works. Includes the arm, arm pouch, low mode, light weight BNC cable, limo to power cable, vest, docking bracket, original cordura case, dovetail, instructional video tape, and a brand spanking new steadicam stand that folds up small enough to fit in the case. (No batteries, no XL2)

Holds cameras from 9-19 pounds - was perfect for dv to broadcast video.

Any ideas on a price range?

Thanks all,
Lonnie

Erik Rene Brul September 28th, 2007 09:51 AM

Lonnie,

The SK and SK2 did sell the last 2 a 3 years for approx 3500 - 4500 us dollars.
Depends ofcourse in which state the Rig is, not only technical also cosmetic.

So in case of your honest remark about the cosmetics, i think just arround 3750 us dollars at max.
This because newer rigs don't cost as much anymore, they all have a arm with 2 bones so better then the one on your system and are way more flexible when it comes to dynamic balance.

Just throw in on Ebay or on this site..

Best, Erik

Charles Papert September 28th, 2007 11:16 AM

Erik:

Good thoughts although I'm not sure how you are referring to dynamic balance in all this--that's purely a function of sled component arrangement (for which incidentally the SK does not allow tweaking)

Erik Rene Brul October 1st, 2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 751444)
Erik:

Good thoughts although I'm not sure how you are referring to dynamic balance in all this--that's purely a function of sled component arrangement (for which incidentally the SK does not allow tweaking)

Hi Charles,
How are you ?

I'm from Holland as you may know so sometimes it happens i write down the wrong lines.. -;)

I meant by :
.. and are way more flexible when it comes to dynamic balance.

That both SK systems are limited when it comes to dynamic balance.
As far as I know, the monitor can be adjusted but the battery not.
All newer Steadicam (Tiffen) systems have now better adjustments.

It is not quit fair because there is not really a new system which replaces these SK systems. The Flyer misses 4 lbs range, the Archer is more a succesor of the Provid line.

Erik

Charles Papert October 1st, 2007 03:03 PM

Hi Erik,

No problem, you should hear my Dutch! (don't speak a word of it)

I think that the thinking at Tiffen was that the division between "prosumer" and "professional" revolved around the 5 lb cameras and jumped from there up to the 20lb+ 2/3" cameras. It was hard to predict that people would be accessorizing their 5 lb cameras with 35mm adaptors and the like and coming up with setups in the 18lb range and needed a budget rig.

Certainly this is something that will be addressed in the near future. I believe that the next generation Flyer will have a more flexible balance system similar to the Pilot, and will accomodate more weight so that there is not a gap in the product line. As it is, the Flyer arm has a greater capacity than the current sled so this will not require a revamp of all elements.