DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Puzzled about Smooth Shooter & X-10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/104569-puzzled-about-smooth-shooter-x-10-a.html)

Kenny Shem September 28th, 2007 10:54 AM

Puzzled about Smooth Shooter & X-10

The only difference is one has a single arm but the other has a dual arm and some slight difference in the vest design. I still do not understand how does having a 2nd arm is better than a single arm. More stable or can pan the cam higher? It cost a cool $900 difference. Please advise. Thank you. :)

Charles Papert September 28th, 2007 11:14 AM

Double the boom range (vertical travel) which translates to being able to elevate the camera higher and lower, as well as be able to remove twice as much vertical displacement (in theory).

I haven't used the X10 yet, have used the Smooth Shooter though and barring any issues with tracking (which has to do with how the 2 sections of the arm work together), it should be a significant improvement that all Smooth shooter users would appreciate. $900 is a solid deal for that improvement in operation.

Charles King October 2nd, 2007 11:07 AM

Here is a short review I did of the X10 and other steadicam rigs: http://hbsboard.com/index.php/topic,....html#msg27782

Eric Gan June 12th, 2008 04:38 PM

Has anyone seen a more in-depth review of the Glidecam X10? I haven't been able to find much user feedback online.

Is there any chance of using a Smooth Shooter arm with a Steadicam Merlin?

Gregory Lee September 12th, 2009 04:44 PM

glidecam 2000 or X-10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles King (Post 753167)
Here is a short review I did of the X10 and other steadicam rigs: A personal short review of the Glidecam X-10, X-22, Sachtler & Steadicam rigs

I already own the Glidecam 2000 but I don't have the arm/vest. I'm considering getting either the Glidecam X-10 arm/vest, or the Steadicam Merlin. Both are around the same price. If I decide to get the Merlin, I would have no use for the Glidecam 2000, whereas if I get the X-10, it would be an addon to what I already have.

For the Panasonic HMC150, which of the two would you recommend? Which would produce smoother results?

Charles Papert September 12th, 2009 05:59 PM

You can buy the Merlin arm/vest (same as the Pilot, incidentally) for around $1600. The armpost is not immediately compatible with the Glidecam, but I think you can get one (or have one made, not hard). Another option is the Indicam arm/vest system which would be compatible with the Glidecam.

Danny O'Neill September 14th, 2009 01:00 PM

I recently upgraded from the Glidecam 2000 pro with smooth shooter (single arm) to a Steadicam pilot VLB and I cannot stress how much better it is.

The extra post size makes it easier to get better control of your movements.

The double arm means I can run (which I do a lot of) with the rig and the shots are lovely and smooth, no bounce.

Its heavier which in steadicam land means more stability.

Monitor is good, I can now see where my feet go although not as good as the FX1 built in screen when it comes to direct sunlight.

It does seem a little more fragile than the Glidecam which was solid. I could hammer in tent pegs with that thing. But you quickly adjust.

Simon Zimmer September 14th, 2009 02:02 PM

Check out the Indicam too. I just got the sled and as soon as I have more money I will get the arm and vest!

indicam.com - Home

The support is excellent!!!!!

Simon
p.s.
I own the HMC-150 too. What a great camera!

Sean Seah September 14th, 2009 06:11 PM

I second that Indicam's support is excellent. The steadicam pilot is a different thing all together. Its better in terms of refinement and performance but you have to pay for it. Make a call based on affordability. Dual arm is the way to go.