Merlin Vest & Arm - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 11th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #16
Major Player

Thank you very much Nick for posting that video; it was exactly what I was looking for; the footage looks extremely promising.

It looks like I will have to order the Merlin Vest arm (dying to try out the metal gimbal) and then purchasing the pilot sled upgrade path when it becomes available (I believe you stated next year).
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #17
Major Player

So I have been told. No price has been set for the separate Pilot sled yet.
I will be upgrading to the Pilot as well, possibly a Flyer depending on work demand for a heavier camera.

Last edited by Nick Tsamandanis; October 12th, 2007 at 12:32 AM.
Nick Tsamandanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:04 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis View Post
Been playing around with the vest and arm for a few days now and I just love it. I have configured the arm so the camera is on the right side for a better view of the LCD monitor. With the new metal gimbal and extra weights I have fitted the Sony FX1 camera with a large NP-F970 battery and a Sony 10/20 light with a NP-F970 battery as well. I can shoot anywhere now. My first impression was that I feel I can go all day with this thing, no more arm fatigue. I also find that Don Juan is so much easier now and much smoother. I will post some basic footage on Youtube when I get some time. I don't know why but It seems to take a lot longer to balance the rig for static and especially dynamic balance with the metal gimbal, even before I added the light and larger batteries, it's a bit of a pain. Switching back to the plastic one it only takes around 30 secs.
Nick, do you have a link for the package you bought? I'm leaning towads getting a system, I have the z1 and a couple of v1s. Thanks in advance.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:46 AM   #19
Major Player

http://www.steadicam.com/merlinarmvest.html
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:16 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis View Post

Interesting, seems the merlin might be a little 'small light' according to the http://www.steadicam.com/ref_chart_lightwtcams.html Especially if I want to throw accessories on it.

I'll keep reading around.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)