Is the glidecam supposed to be level when panning? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 8th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is the glidecam supposed to be level when panning?

Does anyone know if the vertical pole is supposed to stay absolutely vertical when you pan the camera 360 degrees? Mine is ok when the camera is facing straight forward. However when the camera is facing me, it tend to slant one side. Does anyone know if this is normal?
Kenny Shem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Wrangler

This likely means that the gimbal is non-linear, which is to say that the center post is not 100% centered within the gimbal itself. It can probably be improved with shims. This sort of thing is unfortunately often heard with Glidecams. Try checking with them to see if they can help you out with your rig, most likely they will suggest thin washers/spacers.
Old October 8th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Major Player

I use the 4000 model and have a suggestion regarding your balancing setup that might help this. I hang mine on the end of a boomed mic stand so the rig can hang free. This also makes it very simple to balance and adjust. What I notice is that during balancing I will set it up so it seems perfect with the camera facing front but if I spin the camera to the back it may fall slightly. I then readjust it with the camera facing back and get it hanging level. Essentially I am splitting the difference of balance between how it hangs facing either forwards or backwards, with small adjustments in each position until it is 'perfectly' level. You may even find small differences with the camera panned out to the sides and could adjust for this too.

This is with a XH-A1 camera, with or without a external mic off the side, and the glidecam extension/weight post at it's virtually shortest position. The wasers are about 1/4" from the edges of the weight base. My drop test time is 2 seconds. Being on a boomed micstand I can also perform drop test's front or back with the rig swinging clear of the main post of the mic stand. This helps to identify any further adjustments necessary because all drop times should be the same regardless of camera orientation.

When all is balanced to my acceptance I can fully pan 360 or even shake it side to side and it remains completely level.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm with Charles.

Notify Glidecam (I think Thomas Howie) and let him know what problem you are having. He will probably send you a few very thin shims with a explanation on how to use them. This should fix the problem for the most part.

Tery
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #5
Wrangler

Thanks Terry, I meant to say "shim" but I forgot the term. All those mechanical part, names tend to go out of my brain when they are needed. Although it shouldn't be that hard considering I have an actress friend named Cathy Shim, who is probably one of the better looking shims in the toolbox...! (see: www.cathyshim.com)
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Ping Pong Cams also has a tutorial regarding the non-linear gimbal so common with the Glidecams: http://www.pingpongcams.com/glidecam...bal/index.html

It's translated from French but just keep clicking "Prochain" to go to the next page.
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #7
Major Player

Like I say Peter, sometimes you amaze me.

That is a perfect website for helping Kenny with his problem. He just needs the shims now.

Tery
Indicam

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:07 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Peter, Terry, Charles and James for taking the time to help me. I've gotten myself some shims which looks exactly like those in the guide without testing and they surprisingly fit the hole. I'm referring to the guide Peter had posted. However it doesn't seems to make any difference. After adding the shims and make the cam face left again as shown in the guide, it is still level and when turn 180 degrees to face right, it still tilt. What's wrong eh? And now I couldn't really tighten the screw tight back as it will cause the handle to be stiff. I had to loosen a bit.
Kenny Shem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #9
Major Player

Kenny,

Take a couple of pictures and post them on this website so we can see what your problem is. A close up of the "repair" shims you are using will be helpful.

Tery
Indicam

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)