DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Merlin Settings for GL2/XH-A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/105409-merlin-settings-gl2-xh-a1.html)

Will Schryver October 11th, 2007 12:54 AM

Merlin Settings for GL2/XH-A1

I've perused several threads, and also checked out the merlincookbook.com site for settings, but what I've found is that the GL2 settings are only for the camera itself -- no shotgun mic, no wide-angle adapter. And the user-supplied settings for the XH-A1 that I found are widely diverse -- to the point I almost wonder if someone has made a mistake on at least one of them.

So, my question for you Merlin users:

1. What are your settings for a GL2 with the WD-58 adapter attached, a shotgun mic, and a BP-950?

2. Also, settings for the XH-A1, with a shotgun mic and the BP-950.

I took delivery of my Merlin today. I'll be setting it up tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sam DeWitt October 11th, 2007 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Schryver (Post 757296)
I've perused several threads, and also checked out the merlincookbook.com site for settings, but what I've found is that the GL2 settings are only for the camera itself -- no shotgun mic, no wide-angle adapter. And the user-supplied settings for the XH-A1 that I found are widely diverse -- to the point I almost wonder if someone has made a mistake on at least one of them.

So, my question for you Merlin users:

1. What are your settings for a GL2 with the WD-58 adapter attached, a shotgun mic, and a BP-950?

2. Also, settings for the XH-A1, with a shotgun mic and the BP-950.

I took delivery of my Merlin today. I'll be setting it up tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My advice would be to take advantage of the fact that you can not find these settings to learn how to balance a camera from scratch, and not rely on cookbook settings, etc.
It is not that hard, and the manual and the DVD take you through it step by step. Once you learn how to do it, you'll never be stuck out in the field with not knowing how to re-balance should something unexpected come up.

Sam

Will Schryver October 11th, 2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam DeWitt (Post 757406)
My advice would be to take advantage of the fact that you can not find these settings to learn how to balance a camera from scratch, and not rely on cookbook settings, etc.
It is not that hard, and the manual and the DVD take you through it step by step. Once you learn how to do it, you'll never be stuck out in the field with not knowing how to re-balance should something unexpected come up.

Sam

Ironically enough, I had come back here to say "nevermind" because I've found it is not really that difficult to do. The manual and DVD are very comprehensive and walk one through the process. I am making notes of how the settings vary dependent on accessories, and I will come back here and post them once I am finished with my analysis.

Charles Papert October 11th, 2007 02:49 PM

That's what I like to hear, lads. Balancing from scratch is fundamental to properly understanding how the machine works.

Mikko Wilson October 11th, 2007 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 757597)
That's what I like to hear, lads. Balancing from scratch is fundamental to properly understanding how the machine works.

Don't be silly Charles; how can anyone be expected to undestand Magic?

:)

- Mikko