Glidecam for Sony Z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 18th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Glidecam for Sony Z1

Has anyone any advice on a steadicam or glide cam setup for the Z-1? How about a monitor setup as well.

Jeff
Jeff Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Glidecam 2000 Pro

http://www.glidecam.com/product-2000-pro.php

This is the one I'm considering for my vx2100. Will hold camera up to 6lb. Don't think the z1 is heavier than that, but if it is you may need to Glidecam 4000 Pro for the xl1s and similar.

Hope this helps.

Russ
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Trustee

I have an indicam that works pretty well with the FX1. There are a lot of alternatives. I suggest u look under the "support yr camera" section.

I chose the indicam over the glidecam for the fact the gimbal is adjustable along the sled while the glidecam cant. For the entire vest, the rig is much cheaper, does the job but it doesnt look as refined as the smooth shooter X10 from glidecam. Pricewise the indicam beats the rest hands down.

The other alternative is the Merlin with 6 gimbals but that is nearly at the limit but it may be ok with the new metal gimbal it has. This is not adaptable with a monitor. If budget is not a problem u can consider the Steadicam Pilot which is shipping soon. That comes with a carbon fibre sled, pretty cool!

Hope this helps!

www.indicam.com
www.glidecam.com
www.tiffen.com
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #4
Wrangler

I've used my Z1 on the Glidecam 2000 and it works. But the real issue is, it's a handheld stabilizer and you will very quickly fatigue with a camera the size/weight of the Z1. I haven't done any serious work with it and the Z1, but used the GC2000 originally with my PDX-10 which is probably half the weight. I could only hold it steady for maybe a minute or so at a time.

See if you can borrow or rent one for a day to learn if it's going to do what you hope. The systems Sean mention are much more expensive as they include an arm and vest to transfer the weight to your body.

I'm moving this to our stabilizer forum where it belongs, and changing the title to reflect your Z1 interest.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #5
Trustee

I've started with flycam 3000 , which is a copy of GC4000, and yes it is really hard to work with, I mean not hard but heavy; switched to merlin and that's really nice piece; you can easy go 1 - 2 min in one shut with Z1 on top of it,
I used FX1, but it's the same size\weight, take a look , that's FX1 on merlin hanheld :
http://66.49.133.206/merlin.html
now I'm switching to A1, will post some footage as soon as I'll get one
Good luck,
:-)
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi Buba, how does the merlin work for ya? A friend of mine's Z1 slipped of the plate during a shoot.. luckily he managed to save his cam. Tiffen was nice to offer some parts replacement. I think the merlin with the metal bearings should work better.
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes, I've tried Sean's Indicam and is really better than Glidecam's design. Glidecam have 8 knobs when you are doing the balancing, whereas Indicam only has 2. Much easier to do adjustment and also does not have the non-linear gimbal problem.

My maximum time operating the flycam 5000 with arm brace, mounting my XH-A1 with a large capacity battery is only around 2 minutes. After an hour of shooting, my shoulder ache until it's stiff to do a low to high pan shot. Its horrible with the arm and vest.

My new Merlin is arriving soon. Hopefully I can do much longer than that. :)
Kenny Shem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #8
Regular Crew

It looks like the vest on the x-10 is the most durable and can handle the weight the best. I've read some posts about the arm twisting though. Anyone have experience with the X10? My thought is that if I could wear the rig comfortably without it feeling like it's falling off my body, it could compensate for other issues such as the balance adjustments etc.

Jeff
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Hi Buba, how does the merlin work for ya? A friend of mine's Z1 slipped of the plate during a shoot.. luckily he managed to save his cam. Tiffen was nice to offer some parts replacement. I think the merlin with the metal bearings should work better.
Oh, I love it, it is so much easier to setup and balance (compare to glidecam)
It is more expensive, but trust me it worth every penny, very fine tuning;
can't really see how it slipped from the plate, wasn't locked probably,
Maybe metal bearings are better, but the one I have works just great, but for the real long shots I need arm and vest,
to make it short - I used em both and there is MUCH more difference in the quality than in price
:-)
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #10
Trustee

ah great.. I'll love to try out sometime..
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:30 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Just got this

I just received an email about this new produict. Anyone know anything about it? http://www.fsprostab.com/english/index.htm It looks like you will bang you knees with it.

Jeff
Old October 27th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #12
Major Player

Jeff,

The way the operator is holding the rig it looks like you would hit your knees but when you operate a rig like this you get tuned in to where the thing sits.

You'll get used to the body mounted type system fairly easy if you have flown a hand held stabilizer before. It is of course much easier to operate for the longer shots or longer shoots. You find yourself concentrating on framing the shot instead of thinking about how much your arm aches.

Tery
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)