Glidecam question for opinion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old October 29th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Glidecam question for opinion

Hello Everyone,

After much thought I was told by a few friends that I should spend the money and buy a good stabilizer.

I have the XHA1 and HV20 and was thinking that I could use a glide cam on both cameras. After reading many threads here I see controversy on which one to get the 2000 or the 4000.

With all you professionals out there which would you recommend? The 2000 or the 4000 with the cameras I am using. The accessories are for not a external mic, but I will also be getting in a few months a light as well. It will also need to support these times that I don’t own yet.

Any thoughts as I hate to buy the wrong one, and since I have little experience in the field I don’t want to waste my money on the wrong one, but after doing a bit of videotaping, I realize that with the terrain I work on that a good quality stabilizer of some sort is now definitely in order.

Thank you again,

Kevin
Kevin Saitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Trustee

I have both the HV20 and the XH-A1.

I also have and recommend the Steadicam Merlin to use with these cameras.

If you want detailed suggestions on the good and bad points of the stabilizers and recommendations of by some with a lot of experience, I suggest posting in the Stabilizer forum:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=119

(Perhaps Chris Hurd will move this thread anyway.)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Kevin.
I also own A1 and HV20 and have glidecam 4000 with smooth shooter.

I definitly suggest getting 4000, as you don't know what future may bring and what cams you will be using in the future and what you will load them with.
You don't say anything about smooth shooter, which I strongly recomend if you're planning to use it for extended shots. I can shot for few hours with the sled loaded up to 18 pounds. It comes with weights, which you can put on top of the sled with your HV20 for better balance (at least it's better with smooth shooter).

When you finally get it, practice, practice, practice and you can get amazing results...but first you must get through the balancing phase :)
Konrad Czystowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Glidecam 4000 works great for me... Definitely a steep learning curve but once you get use to shooting with it... it's sweet....
Old October 30th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

So the 4000 works good with both the HV20 and XHA1? I saw the merlin but I really do not want to have to spend $800. The glidecam with its price point look more approachable.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old October 30th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saitta View Post
So the 4000 works good with both the HV20 and XHA1? I saw the merlin but I really do not want to have to spend $800. The glidecam with its price point look more approachable.

Thanks,

Kevin
I haven't used the Glidecam units. However, I will mention that the weight limit for the 4000 is listed as 4 lbs. to 10 lbs. To use the HV20 it may be necessary to add some weight, but that shouldn't be a problem.

However, since the 2000 is listed as up to only 6 lbs., I would personally get the 4000.

Again, though, I haven't used the Glidecam and am just reading the specs on the website:
http://glidecam.com/products.php
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:44 AM   #7
Major Player

I have both cameras and I'm very happy with investing in the GC 4000 and the smoothS. Once you learn the balacing and the operation I don't see any diffenrent result comparing with the expensive ones. Im in the midle of upgrading the system to the x-10 to add vertical movement to my shooting.

Practice is the key , and of course youy must be patient at the begining.
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank for the replies everyone! The 4000 seems to be the one to get. Do you need the smooth shooter at first or can that wait?

Thanks,

Kevin
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

You can wait, but you won't last long . You will have to take brakes. You can maybe think about that arm brace Glidecam offers. I don't know how much it helps but it's supposed to help.
If you want to use it for one hour (let's say weddings) non stop, than go right away for smooth shooter.
Konrad Czystowski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)