Varizoom Flowpod...Any owners yet? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 6th, 2003, 07:28 AM   #31
Wrangler

I think the things you guys are finding in your photography that seem to be the result of using the OIS--probably are. It's mostly noticeable on pans.

Yow, have you checked the drop time (regular readers of my posts that revolve around pendulum-type issues probably guessed this one by now)? This requires turning the rig to fully horizontal, then allowing it to fall back to a vertical position, and counting how long it takes to do so. It should be between 2 and 3 seconds. If it falls much faster, you have too much bottom weight, and this will cause the rig to swing out going around turns more than usual. This is top-to-bottom balance, every bit as important as side-to-side and fore-and-aft. The nice thing is that you don't normally have to trim it the way you do with the other two axes, it's mostly a set-and-forget operation. Give that a try!
Old October 6th, 2003, 09:04 AM   #32
Regular Crew

thanks charles for your advice. do you have any advice on controling zoom when using flowpod? or we are not suppose to use zoom at all during flowpod use..?

us
Yow Siang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 09:17 AM   #33
Trustee

Charles has said before that you "zoom with your feet" -- which means you don't use the camera's zoom but instead just have to walk closer to the subject.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 06:43 PM   #34
Regular Crew

thanks

thanks for all your advice.. am quite getting the hang of it now.
thanks.
Yow Siang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 10:23 AM   #35
Major Player

I tried the FlowPod soon after it became available. I thought it was a great concept and tried it but eventually sent it back. First problem came when I couldn't get it to safely balance with a GL2 equipped with a wide angle lens. The extra front weight of the camera required the plate to be set to far back and it did not look secure. Also, if I remember correctly, I had to use all of the weights making the thing totally unwieldly and heavy. It may be okay for a very light camera but I couldn't imagine working with it without severe arm fatigue.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 02:23 PM   #36
Major Player

It works great for me with the GL2 and balances easily with 2 of the weights, but I have not tried it with the WD58 on it.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 03:45 PM   #37
Regular Crew

i use only one weight infact with a vitacom. 0.5X wide angle lens and it balances very well.
Maybe you could try using a different screw slot. so the camera will not be set to far back.

ys
Yow Siang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)